ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Best Music Service

tech crunch article comparing music services

<< < (18/18)

nudone:
the latest: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5140788.stm

Copyright lawyers say that, even if the BPI obtains a verdict that the website is illegal, it might have "enormous practical difficulties" enforcing the ruling in Moscow.
--- End quote ---

so, i think we can see where this is going to end. allofmp3.com will be even more popular in a few months time because of the the publicity it will get and everyone that uses it (in the UK at least) will know that they are breaking the law. perhaps more importantly the BPI will have to accept that no one cares.

Carol Haynes:
Anyone notice that AllofMP3.com seems to be morphing into alltunes.com ?

vegas:
Just wanted to drop back in to this topic and say I am still happily using AllTunes/AllOfMp3 with no digital rights restrictions and only $.10 - $.20 per song. Glad they are still around because any 'legitimate' offering under the music industry is still oh so unacceptable. Yes, I feel bad that artists don't get their fair cut (but do they really under the music industry either? - i think not), but at least I don't feel like I'm the one being ripped off and that matters to me, selfish or not.  I thought I remembered reading though that one of the main labels was gonna try to go DRM-free in '07 (was it Universal?), let's hope so, cuz it's not the price of the song that holds me back it's the lack of freedom and ability to choose what quality/format I want to buy.  Personally, I think the music industry doesn't want to let go of DRM, not to protect the songs as much as to have a way to always be able to recharge people for having to buy they same songs over and over, like they have always had (ie. new formats like vinyl-tape-cd-dvdaudio-sacd, or new packaging, new compilations, remastered versions, new super glamorous box sets, etc..). But, they can rely on people to get a new computer and lose their previous songs (or some other incident) and have to buy all over again, if they didn't have THAT how could they survive?  I mean they would, but it wouldn't be as profitable.  Once you get a lossless copy of a song in your hands for $1.00 you should be safe in never having to buy *THAT* version again.  I think the funniest part is, people like to buy music (own something), they would just buy more of it and be exposed to more artists.  Anywho, it's been a while, what is everyone else using this year to get music?

Carol Haynes:
I have subscribed to eMusic which is a legitmate company. All of their music is in non-DRM MP3 format but having said that it is only good if you don't want the big names. There is quite a lot of music I like though - not least folk and country type stuff and a pretty good collection of classical music (including the London Symphony Orchestra's LSO label).

It works on a fixed monthly subscription and you get a set number of tracks which you can download but you can buy more tracks if you like at any time. See http://www.emusic.com/ for details (they also do a free trial offer where you can download a number of tracks for free - you do have to sign up but you can cancel any time during the free period).

Personally I have gone off DRMed music completely. I have a few WMA DRMed albums and it is a real pain in WMP 11 as it constantly connects to stores to revalidate you DRMed licences.

Personally I can't see the point - I can burn and rip then import the albums again in MP3 format so what does DRM actually achieve? Same goes for iTunes and Audible - both let you burn to standard CDs which can then be ripped as non-DRM so what is DRM actually achieving apart from inconvenience for legitimate purchasers??

By the way if I burn WMA files to CD and then rip them back to WMA format at the same bit rate (with the same software) will I get identical files to those I started with except without the DRM or will degradation still occur?? It would be nice to think that the decode to CD - reencode to WMA procedure would produce a transparent conversion without introducing noise.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version