ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Best Music Service

tech crunch article comparing music services

<< < (6/18) > >>

Carol Haynes:
May be a more major point in the days of Ebay - go out buy a CD on the cheapest store you can find, copy it at bit-perfect quality, sell it on Amazon or Ebay and probably make a profit; I'm sure it happens all the time these days - otherwise how do individiuals sell so many second hand CDs and DVDs ?

AsideI can't believe some of the second hand prices people pay on Ebay and Amazon - I'm sure some people switch off their brains. I remember watching an auction I was interested in once for a DVD and I stopped bidding at £2 short of the cheapest price I could buy it for new, but the auction went on and someone paid twice as much as the new price !!!

One further thought about AllofMP3 - it is really useful for older CDs that are no longer available, and I don't have any reservations about copyright: if you can't buy a CD in the shop you aren't doing any harm to the artists whatever AllofMP3 do re. royalties. I have certain found a few deleted classics over there.

slave138:
I don't know about AllOfMP3, but SearchMP3.ru had a pretty good collection of older releases.  In some cases they also have bootlegs of live shows and unreleased studio demos. (Now if they would just get Bowie's 50th birthday show...)

allen:
Emusic is where I get most of the music downloads I use on my portable devices -- but I do have a Rhapsody subscription. 

They offered a free trial, and I want to try most things free.  I didn't expect to like it, though, as a long time hater of Real Player -- but I've gone ahead and paid my monthly dues.  While the review hits them for their $0.99 price per track, that only applies to songs you want to transfer to your portable or burn to a CD.  Your subscription allows you to listen to and/or download unlimited music on your home PC -- which works really well for me.  I can listen to virtually anything I want.

I haven't touched iTunes -- does iTunes do this as well? I know Napster has a similar program.

Carol Haynes:
Not sure about elsewhere but iTunes is generally 79p a track or £7.90 an album in the UK (presumably ~99c and $10 in the US?). You can listen to a clip to preview tracks but they are very short - otherwise you buy it or don't is there moto.

One really annoying thing about iTunes is that you can't redownload a file if it gets lost or damaged so you do have to back up your library religiously (you can in MSN etc). Also iTunes only provides AAC format which can only be played in iTunes and on iPods.

In the UK Tesco is OK too, and at least you get MP3s rather than WMA or AAC with DRM crap.

AllofMP3 lets you stream the whole album before downloading if you want to so you could just treat it as a free jukebox, especially with the AllofMP3 Explorer software (which I only discovered yesterday and is really neat).

allen:
Ah -- precisely what I like about Rhapsody -- unless I need to burn it or put it on my mobile device, I can listen to virtually any album in their library any time I want -- 9.99/mo US.  For 14.95/mo US, I can do that and copy them to my portable device -- so I only have to buy the tracks if I want to burn them to CD.  If you have the 14.95 plan, you get 10% off purchases.  Since I'm generally a homebody, the basic plan works great for me.

Rhapsody allows you 3 additional re-downloads of purchased music -- which is better than no-chance :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version