ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Stick-A-Note + Universal Viewer - Mini-Review

<< < (3/6) > >>

IainB:
@dr_andus: I use SaN in OneNote, but with a caution.: if you update the link reference point used by SaN, then you will orphan the SaN note. For example:

dr_andus:
Thanks, IainB. My problem with ConnectedText was of a slightly different nature. There are two ways of viewing a CT topic: in its main window, and/or in a floating window. The problem was that the same topic is displayed with different window titles, so that if I created a Stick-A-Note (or GumNote) in one or the other, it would only show up in that particular window.

However, eventually I figured out that if I remove all the superfluous window-specific text and leave only the topic title in the Stick-A-Note (or GumNote) header, then it would work with both. E.g. a topic in the main window would have:

ConnectedText - The Personal Wiki System - [project title:topic title]
--- End quote ---

while, in a floating window it would show
project title - topic title
--- End quote ---

So if I delete all the superfluous stuff ("ConnectedText - The Personal Wiki System - [project title: ...]" or "project title - " in the Stick-A-Note window, and only leave "topic title" for both, then the note would show up regardless which type of window is being used.

After a bit more testing I found that Stick-A-Note is more reliable than GumNotes. Sometimes document-specific GumNotes just would not show up when the given document or software window is called up, which defeats the whole purpose of having these notes. On the other hand, Stick-A-Note seems remarkably consistent, and the fact that it moves with its window makes it the winner for me.

Now if only Stick-A-Note had some kind of a basic note-viewer pane that could be called up with a shortcut, and the ability to export the notes (individually or collated into a single text file).  ;)

IainB:
...Now if only Stick-A-Note had some kind of a basic note-viewer pane that could be called up with a shortcut, and the ability to export the notes (individually or collated into a single text file).  ;)
-dr_andus (January 06, 2014, 06:01 AM)
--- End quote ---
You effectively can already have tree-style note-viewing and editing capability - using, for example:
(a) Universal Viewer;
(b) Windows Explorer;
(c) xplorer²;
- as per above examples/images.

I find the use of xplorer² is the best as it is so fast to edit a file (press F3) using the built-in editor.
If you wanted to open up and edit several note files at once, Send To a tabbed editor such as (for example) EditPad Lite would do nicely (I regularly use EditPad Lite for editing several text files at once).

As I wrote above:
From my perspective, it is lacking a "tree viewer", and the Universal Viewer therefore seemed a useful addition, as well as being a powerful multi-purpose viewer in its own right.
--- End quote ---
Given this, unless you wanted to add some additional new functionality, then creating a special notes tree-viewer for viewing standard, non-proprietary txt files in the "database" (which is a folder) might seem to be an exercise in redundancy - i.e., unnecessary.

IainB:
2014-01-10: Made various updates to the review in the opening post.

rjbull:
Stick-A-Note is an excellent tool for making ad hoc persistent notes on any window - as long as it has a unique Window Title.-IainB (June 18, 2012, 05:15 AM)
--- End quote ---
I'd like to make persistent notes that can be stuck to similar windows by some form of wildcard.  That is, I'd like to be able to stick a note to a Web page and all its child pages, and to be able to stick a note to a particular file whatever editor I'm using to edit it.  I haven't yet seen a sticky notes program to do this...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version