ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Stick-A-Note + Universal Viewer - Mini-Review

<< < (4/6) > >>

IainB:
@rjbull: Pretty tall order. I'm not sure whether GumNotes (referred to in the review) could help there. I haven't tried it in ages, and I'm sure it will have been modified/improved since I last trialled it.

anandcoral:
Hi rjbull

Sorry I did not checked your message earlier. Life is hectic to be the least. Always fail to make any one happy or satisfied, no matter how hard one tries.

Anyway, yes SAN can solve your problem.

For example, give the title value, say "myfile", then if you open "myfile.doc" or "myfile.txt" or "all myfiles.xls", SAN will show the notes for it.

Give it a try and revert in case of any problem.

Regards,

Anand

IainB:
^^ Will that give @rjbull what he seems to require? I'm not so sure that it will.
For example, I have a SAN for the "About" window of the ATI Tray Tools utility.

The SAN file is SaN_About.txt, and it contains:
-------------------------
[APP]Stick A Note , 2.1.0[/APP]
[TITLE]About[/TITLE]
[NOTES]ATI Tray Tools v1.7.9.1573 (still latest as at 2013-07-03).
Latest version from "old" site page:
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=733#download
From "new" site page:
http://www.guru3d.com/files/index.html[/NOTES]
-------------------------

This same SAN pops up on various other windows with the string "About" in the window title and which are nothing to do with the ATI Tray Tools utility - e.g., whilst editing a file called About everything.text or Not About.txt. Whilst this is not a problem per se for me, it does serve to illustrate that SAN does not attempt to discriminate between different application windows with the same string (e.g., "About") in the Window title. That is, SAN seems to work best or more specifically where the window title term(s) is(are) unique rather than potentially generic.

So, where the requirement is:
...I'd like to make persistent notes that can be stuck to similar windows by some form of wildcard.  That is, I'd like to be able to stick a note to a Web page and all its child pages, and to be able to stick a note to a particular file whatever editor I'm using to edit it. ...
-rjbull (January 28, 2014, 03:12 PM)
--- End quote ---
- I have been unable to realise the first part (web pages) with SAN, but the second part (file names) can be realised to a greater extent by judiciously naming files in a unique fashion.
To be able to realise/meet both requirements with SAN would be very useful to me.
For files, I had been pondering the idea of somehow getting SAN to use the text in a file's Comment field, rather than just in a text file called (say) SaN_About.txt. The text would thus travel with the file, regardless of what application opened it. The implication is that the text might (say) even be duplicated in the file's comment field and in a file called SaN_About.txt - but that wouldn't be very elegant.

rjbull:
Thanks, anandcoral and IainB; I'll take a look when I get up enough steam...

- I have been unable to realise the first part (web pages) with SAN-IainB (April 10, 2014, 09:26 AM)
--- End quote ---
Occasionally I get coupons for reduced price on something.  When that happens, I'd like to make a sticky note reminder that not only pops up on the Web site home page, but on other pages I visit within that site, so I don't forget.  Very mercenary, perhaps, but trying to be practical.

For files, I had been pondering the idea of somehow getting SAN to use the text in a file's Comment field, rather than just in a text file called (say) SaN_About.txt. The text would thus travel with the file, regardless of what application opened it.-IainB (April 10, 2014, 09:26 AM)
--- End quote ---
I'm not sure what you mean by the file's comment field.  Some approximation of this may be had by software that understands the DESCRIPT.ION comment files originated by 4DOS.  Some programs, like my regular file manager Total Commander, honours these and copies the file description across when it copies or moves a file.  However, I think you mean some form of comment more embedded within the file itself?

IainB:
@rjbull: I don't really have any useful suggestions as to how SAN could help you with the coupons problem. It's an interesting puzzle.

By the file's Comments field I mean the "Comment" column that you can add in Windows Explorer (Windows7).
In the DCF discussion: IDEA: Allow commenting of files in directory listing
 - I described it:
...I use xplorer² file manager (Windows Explorer replacement). That has 2 comments fields - one (A) seems to be peculiar to xplorer², and the other (B) is a system one. For a JPG file, if you write/edit a comment in (A), it appears in (B), but it does not appear in either the EXIF or IPTC info of the file.

xplorer² has this note about using Comments:
File comments rely on an advanced NTFS feature called “Alternate Data Streams” (ADS). Imagine a file as a kind of "folder" that has a stream for the regular contents and secondary streams for other information, including comments. When you move the file around, all these alternate streams are silently carried along.
--- End quote ---
What that means is that if you run a file backup to a non-NTFS disk, then you will strip off the ADS (Comment) data [in the back-up copies of the files].
There is no manager for the Comments, so you have to display them in the file manager, though xplorer² says you can export the comments and file names to a spreadsheet for analysis. ...
-IainB (August 24, 2011, 12:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

Does that make sense to you?

I am finding that the Comment field (for most files) and the Tag field (in image files) are potentially two very useful tools for increasing and storing file meta-data. I just wish they were easier to use and get into an information management database.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version