ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Finished Programs

DONE: Folder Properties Auto-Update....

(1/7) > >>

nkormanik:

Here's another request:

I'm creating image files from a statistics program.  Total image files = 16,110.  Time needed to create each image file = 30 seconds.  Total needed time to create all image files (on computer off to the side) = 5 days.

I've minimized all the windows.

Periodically I right-click on the folder where the image files are being created, and bring up the "Folder Properties" to see how many files have so far been created.

Windows "Folder Properties" window is not 'dynamic' -- it does not automatically update as new files are created within it.

What I have in mind is a little program that shows a small window with the following:

--- Folder being monitored
--- Number of files currently in the folder

The font should ideally be reasonably large in size, maybe even user-configurable.

The 'refresh' time should be perhaps a minute or so, possibly user configurable.

User should be able to move the window around on the desktop, for optimal placement.

The idea is for user to glance over at the computer doing the work and see that the number of files in the monitored folder is steadily increasing, and will have an idea about total completion of the file-creation project.

=====

Another approach would be to create within the "Folder Properties" window a way to refresh the information (button to click on periodically), or to auto-refresh it.

=====

There may be other already existing approaches to the problem.  If anyone knows of one, please post.

Thanks much.

Nicholas Kormanik
[email protected]

4wd:
FolMon v0.4.0.4

Instructions:

Run it, the Path button allows you to choose a folder to monitor.  When it closes it will save the folder being monitored, colours, Always on Top setting, and Update Interval to an ini file so it can use them next time it starts.

You can change the colours two ways:

* Edit the .ini file - the colours are in RGB format - here's a list.

* Background=0x000000
* Text=0x00FF00
* Right-click on the window background and a popup menu will open, (best place is between "Files:" and "Size:").NOTE: Colour changes will not take effect until the next time the program is run.

You can have multiple instances running, even from the same folder - just rename the executable, an ini with the same name will be created upon exit.

Input boxes are read-only.
Statusbar reflects the last file creation or deletion in the directory.

UPDATE (0.4.0.4):

* Added: Colour selector popup menu.
* Changed: The Recurse warning requester now has a 10 second timeout, (so it doesn't block other functions for too long), it defaults to NO at the end of the timeout.
UPDATE (0.4.0.2):

* Added: Update interval slider from 5-120 seconds.
* Added: Always on Top option.
* Added: Recurse option - notes:

* Interval slider will change to 60-120 seconds.
* Statusbar will be disabled - too hard to monitor all possible sub-directories for file changes.
* This setting is NOT saved in the ini file, (I've left the lines in the source just uncomment and recompile if you want it).
* Added: Colour setting acts on statusbar - I even fixed the weird colour problem I was getting.
* Removed: The Exit button - guess what you use now.
UPDATE (0.3.0.5):

* Fixed: No longer freezes due to getting latest file created. Statusbar is updated in real time from filesystem notifications. If files are being generated very rapidly, (eg. >50/s), it may start skipping them ... however this is probably faster than you can read individual names.

nkormanik:
How about THAT.

Precisely what was asked for.  And auto-updating.

Can we assume that it won't be interfering too much with the file-creation process being monitored?

Thank you so much!!

4wd:
Can we assume that it won't be interfering too much with the file-creation process being monitored?-nkormanik (June 17, 2012, 11:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

Shouldn't, all it does is return directory statistics.

It's not recursive either, although you could make it easily enough by changing one parameter.

nkormanik:

Pretty close to perfect.

Although it does the trick very, very well -- and I'm using it right this minute -- two possible enhancement requests:

-- change background color to some color darker than white.  I'll leave it running on my desktop, and am always concerned about monitor burn-in image caused by white.

-- when the program is minimized in the task bar, allow it to show the data (at least number of files) as opposed to the title.

But, as I say, as it is now works great.  Thanks a million.

Sure hope other people use this stuff.  It's quite good.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version