ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

World's first 'tax' on Microsoft's Internet Explorer 7

<< < (4/5) > >>

TaoPhoenix:

Or simply quietly dropping support and letting all of the IE7 users wonder why the layout is completely unusable except for an error message recommending a newer browser.

At least that's what usually happens.
-SeraphimLabs (June 15, 2012, 04:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's why this story makes news. If they spin it right, low skilled users can't ignore what a browser is anymore, and they'll start to ask questions that don't get asked if "the layout just looks funny and they get an error". The company is "gambling" that the customer has loyalty to Kogan more than the browser.

Shades:
Actually, this could be the start of a dangerous precedent. Because if Kogan has problems with IE7 then they will have problems (albeit less) with IE8 as well. And that is the highest IE available on XP. So people that cannot upgrade to a more modern OS are effectively blocked. If you cannot afford the upgrade, likely you will not have the money for the extra added tax either.

From what I heard, IE9 is not so bad anymore. I wouldn't know though, as I will not touch IE with a ten foot pole if I can help it! 

TaoPhoenix:
Sure Shades, it's complicated, hopefully someone will point that out to them, but I still kinda feel MS deserves a little backlash for a decade of lockin tricks.

SeraphimLabs:
Actually, this could be the start of a dangerous precedent.
-Shades (June 15, 2012, 05:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

That it is. Tons of sites have browser compatibility problems, as each developer always develops for their favorite browser and anything else appears second-rate or not at all.

This is the first time that a site has actively penalized users of a specific incompatible browser time. Usually the site just displays a warning message recommending a newer or different brand of browser, or appears mangled in an unsupported browser- like my sites, which lose the webkit-based graphics effects in older IE and Firefox versions.

wraith808:
^ Yup.  This is the largest problem with this.  And imagine if someone had done this years ago when IE was market leader... if it's not good for one side, IMO it's not good for the other.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version