ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Education - a $100 genuine Master's Degree?

(1/1)

IainB:
The biggest constraints to getting an education would probably include:

* access to education - you generally need to go to college.
* money - to fund it. You either need wealthy parents or access to a huge student debt, which will hang over your head for a large part of your working life.
* availability of freely disposable time - you might be too busy earning a living or looking after children to be able to get to a college.
How about a real, potential opportunity to overcome those constraints?
Couple of useful links below, and I have lifted a comment out of another thread (which was about learning Python) to help start this thread off.
I would be very interested to read of any DCF members' experiences of using the innovative UDACITY educational effort.

* On Statistics and Open Education: A Brief Chat with Sebastian Thrun
* The $100 Masters Degree From Udacity
This quote is from @40hz in the thread Re: Book: Learn Python the Hard Way
If you're a rank beginner to Python (and programming) look no further than this free  course offered through Udacity.com.
Intro to Computer Science (cs101)
Building a Search Engine
with Professor David Evans - University of Virginia

Class Summary
In this course you will learn key concepts in computer science and learn how to write your own computer programs in the context of building a web crawler.

What do I need to know?
There is no prior programming knowledge needed for this course. Beginners welcome!

What will I learn?
At the end of this course you will have a rock solid foundation for programming in Python and built a working web crawler. This course will prepare you to take many of Udacity's more advanced courses.

--- End quote ---
Really quite a step up from many free 'university level' online courses in that they offer an interactive web-based programming environment (no need to install Python so you can use any PC when you want to work on the course); graded exams, live people to ask questions of - and a certificate when you successfully complete the course.
Some other good courses available there as well. Check it out. 8)
-40hz (June 10, 2012, 11:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

TaoPhoenix:
I Programmer's "midterm report" on that project is that it's showing the nitpicks of an Alpha creation but that it's a neat experience.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version