ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Raspberry Pi's $35 Linux PC

<< < (29/31) > >>

Arizona Hot:
Meanwhile the $40 Odroid-C2 is superior in virtually every way, other than a slight price premium.
-Deozaan (March 15, 2016, 05:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't think such a cutting-edge system is for everyone.

antekgla:
Meanwhile the $40 Odroid-C2 is superior in virtually every way, other than a slight price premium.
-Deozaan (March 15, 2016, 05:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

That could be true. Hardware is better (way better) but sometimes a active community of developers are important.
Is useless have the cutting edge hardware with buggy software.
Maybe Odroid-C2 developers are dedicated but nothing compares with the HUGE raspberry pi community.

mouser:
That could be true. Hardware is better (way better) but sometimes a active community of developers are important.
Is useless have the cutting edge hardware with buggy software.
--- End quote ---

very well said.  give me the slower hardware but better community and software support every time.

CWuestefeld:
One thing I've been very foggy about for years is software compatibility between Unix-type systems. I guess drivers will certainly differ, but given a common CPU architecture (e.g., ARM processors), will software like RetroPie run on something like an ODROID?

f0dder:
Keep in mind that ARM is not just "ARM" - there's several revisions of the CPUs, including 32- and 64-bit versions, support of "Thumb" mode (running 16bit code alongside 32bit code), and then the pretty varied platforms because arm i usually system-on-a-chip (i.e., not just a CPU).

I'm not sure about the level of compatibility, but for e.g. native code in Android applications (where you don't get to systems-level with drivers and stuff, but only add some native usermode code because of performance), afaik you have to compile for some number of ARM architectures to be able to use native code across a wide range of Android devices.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version