ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Raspberry Pi's $35 Linux PC

<< < (28/31) > >>

wraith808:
21's Bitcoin Computer is a Raspberry Pi-powered mining tool

Raspberry Pi - the DIY computer celebrity.
-Arizona Hot (September 22, 2015, 02:11 PM)
--- End quote ---
Hrm, sounds like a moneygrab. Even with a "custom mining chip", it's hardly going to be able to generate any worthwhile amount of BC, considering people are running massive amounts of monstrous custom ASICs.

-f0dder (September 22, 2015, 04:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'd agree.  They're taking advantage of a the fact that a lot of people don't know how mining actually works.

Deozaan:

--- End quote ---
Hrm, sounds like a moneygrab. Even with a "custom mining chip", it's hardly going to be able to generate any worthwhile amount of BC, considering people are running massive amounts of monstrous custom ASICs.

--- End quote ---

Yup.

Raspberry Pi: $35
128 GB Class 10 SD Card: $70
USB WiFi Adapter: $10
Micro USB Power Supply: $8
------------------------------
Total: $123

This Device: $399
??????????

I mean, OK they have a special chip and a fan bolted on there.  But really?-http://fyre.it/h5wQ7P.4
--- End quote ---

Arizona Hot:
Raspberry Pi: $35
128 GB Class 10 SD Card: $70
USB WiFi Adapter: $10
Micro USB Power Supply: $8
------------------------------
Total: $123

This Device: $399
-Deozaan (September 22, 2015, 11:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

CanaKit Raspberry Pi 3 Complete Starter Kit - 32 GB Edition Computers & Accessories

Western Digital ships $31, 314GB PiDrive for the Raspberry Pi 3 PCWorld

Very soon people will be hacking IBM with Raspberry Pis. "I learned everything about programming using my Pi and I still use it for everything."

Deozaan:
Meanwhile the $40 Odroid-C2 is superior in virtually every way, other than a slight price premium.

Deozaan:

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Hmm... I guess I missed the part where it comes with a custom mining chip. Some custom, specialized-for-mining chip might be pretty expensive.

As far as I understand, ASICs aren't necessarily ultra powerful machines. They just do one thing and do it really well, and do it even better in parallel/groups. So I suppose it's feasible that the custom mining chip can perform at a decent hash rate for a single machine, and is intended to be used with a mining pool or in large quantities (or both) if any actual BTC are intended to be mined from it. Unless there's something I'm fundamentally misunderstanding about how mining works.

But other than that, I kind of like the idea of using a little SBC as a non-mining, full Bitcoin node. It would be kind of like a PirateBox.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version