ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Raspberry Pi's $35 Linux PC

<< < (26/31) > >>

Deozaan:
(see attachment in previous post)
The $35 credit card sized computer just got much faster

The article says it will be able to use a version of Windows 10 from Microsoft. Would this ruin it?-Arizona Hot (February 02, 2015, 07:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

Just for reference, this was mentioned in this post:

Raspberry Pi 2 out now; includes support for Windows 10

The Windows 10 that runs on it will be very much stripped down. Not at all what regular folk are used to, methinks.

bit:
Techwise & chatwise I'm just not on the up and up with new developments (i.e. I've never even owned or used a cell phone before), but from skimming this thread it looks like the Raspberry Pi tablet does not quite have what it would take to use it as a replacement for my PC yet.
I have a full size mid-tower pc with AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual-core 4400+ cpu, Windows 7 Pro 32-bit, 4GB ram, and multiple HDs of 500 to 750GB, and an NVidia GTS 450 gpu.
When I see posts & stuffs like this, it makes me wonder when the day may come that I could swap out my box in place of a tablet to plug in my desktop mouse, keyboard, HDs, monitor, and headphone amp to my headphone & speakers. :)

PS - and do it for $35 (or shall we say less than $100).
PPS - One could use the tablet's onboard HD, and save the old HDs as backups.
Then the only power-hungry thing I'd have left would be my old 19-inch CRT screen; I wonder what the DPI is on those tablets?

Hey, I just passed 400 posts. :)

Deozaan:
The Raspberry Pi isn't a tablet. It's a little credit card sized computer board (without a case). You have to provide your own keyboard, mouse, monitor, wifi, SD card, HDD, etc., if you want those things.

Also, the architecture (for Pi 2) is ARMv7, as opposed to x86 (or x86_64), which means you can't run Windows on it. And even though the Pi 2 will have some stripped down version of Windows 10 available for it, I suspect it won't be what you might think, (e.g., you probably won't be able to run any .exe file on it like you'd want to).

But if you were to install a flavor of Linux on something like the $35 ODROID-C1 (Quad core 1.5Ghz, 1GB RAM) you just might have a nice little portable computer replacement.

bit:

Gives new meaning to putting a Pi in the microwave.

Some Dude Hacks Microwave, Puts Manufacturers to Shame

Of course, nobody here would actually put a  Pi in the microwave. But, if you did you might get a Pi with superpowers(quantum?) like the Fantastic 4. Of course, you most likely would end up with something usuable only for Facebook (or AOL, if it's still around) like the Hulk, if anything good happened at all.
-Arizona Hot (July 18, 2013, 02:35 PM)
--- End quote ---
How about a container of liquid nitrogen? :)

ewemoa:
The article says it will be able to use a version of Windows 10 from Microsoft. Would this ruin it?
-Arizona Hot (February 02, 2015, 07:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not sure why that would ruin it.

Sounds somewhat similar to being able to use Mathematica on the Pi.

Also, AFAICT, it's not just that you will be able to use a version of Windows 10:

The Raspberry Pi 2-compatible version of Windows 10 will be available free of charge to makers.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version