ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Raspberry Pi's $35 Linux PC

<< < (30/31) > >>

Deozaan:
One thing I've been very foggy about for years is software compatibility between Unix-type systems. I guess drivers will certainly differ, but given a common CPU architecture (e.g., ARM processors), will software like RetroPie run on something like an ODROID?
-CWuestefeld (March 22, 2016, 12:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

I just learned about ExaGear which allows you to run x86 applications on ARM devices. It's kind of like qemu but supposedly has much better performance.

Combined with WINE, you may even be able to run some Windows applications on your little ARM device. :Thmbsup:

https://eltechs.com/product/exagear-desktop/

f0dder:
I just learned about ExaGear which allows you to run x86 applications on ARM devices. It's kind of like qemu but supposedly has much better performance.-Deozaan (March 23, 2016, 05:24 PM)
--- End quote ---
Hm, there's claims of 5x the performance of QEMU - that sounds pretty incredulous. I was under the impression that QEMU used dynamic code translation and was pretty fast, but I guess the translation involved in x86-on-arm might be lacking.

Deozaan:
Perhaps that claim is based on the idea that QEMU has 5-10 times the overhead as compared to ExaGear, which uses binary translation? Honestly I'm not sure what these terms mean exactly. I'm just going by what I read out of the March 2016 Odroid Magazine article on ExaGear.

Stoic Joker:
I'm thinking of proposing a project based on one of these - or something like it - assuming what I'm after actually exists.

What I'm after is a Pi type mini device that is capable of running the Win10 IoT edition, that has 2 RJ45 Ethernet ports, and (preferably) some type of case that allows it to be discreetly plugged into the wall like a wall-wart power supply.

The purpose for this device is - or rather will be - to allow our Techno-Tarded sales staff to just pop this thing into the wall at a client location, plug a cable into it, and give us remote access to the network to monitor various pieces of equipment that are under contract.

The software part I'll most likely end up writing from scratch (I really hate me when I do this to myself), so I'm really just looking for hardware options at this point that will give us something that is small, cheap, and id10t simple for anyone to deploy. Because our IT staff - me included - is currently wasting far too much time running all over the %&$^ countryside trying to keep our current -(big name, fancy, basically shit)- "solution" running and reporting properly.

CWuestefeld:
just pop this thing into the wall at a client location, plug a cable into it, and give us remote access to the network
-Stoic Joker (March 29, 2016, 07:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

Is your customer going to be OK with that? I'm assuming you're only leaving it there temporarily, while the troubleshooting is going on? I'd be surprised if anybody is going to let you drop a device into their internal LAN.

Years ago we built an ESD solution for my employer (we sell computer HW and SW) according to requirements provided by several key customers. At the time, bandwidth was more scarce, and to conserve this, they wanted us to put satellite servers in their DMZ from which downloads could be streamed when authorized. That became part of the basic system architecture, but in the whole history of the system (over 10 years) exactly one customer (and that wasn't even one of the ones who demanded that feature) has ever let us deploy a device into their DMZ. And that's not even their internal network.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version