ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Help me think of a small ipad app idea to code

<< < (7/11) > >>

barney:
... whose every step feels like it has been designed with the sole purpose of demonstrating the worst case vision of bureaucratic dystopia.  Whether it was signing up to be given permission to pay $100 to develop applications ...
-mouser (July 17, 2012, 04:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yep, that sounds like Mr. Jobs' company, right down the line.  A visionary he might have been  :-\, but anything else  :down:...

Side note:  never have been amenable to the whole concept of paying to be allowed to create something that someone else will sell for a ~thirty percent cut.

BTW:  DC's spell check wanted to replace dystopia with dustpan ... not inappropriate in this particular instance  :-*.

jgpaiva:
As a side rant: I absolutely hate the Mac OS approach to having one main menubar at the top of the screen that changes depending on the child window you choose, and the basic approach to having desktop windows that simply vanish into thin air until you can figure out where they went.  God help us if people start to copy the way apple does things..
-mouser (July 17, 2012, 04:23 PM)
--- End quote ---
Also, alt-tab switches between applications and not windows, which means that if you have more than one window of the same application open (think spreadsheets, or editors, for example), you'll have to use some other combination which switches between windows of the same application. I've been using Mac for over two years and I've resigned to the idea that I will *never* get used to that idiotic way of thinking.
Also, don't get me started on the pseudo-random mechanisms of selecting window focus when switching between workspaces (aka spaces in mac). Combine that with the alt-tab nonsense above, and you've got yourself a recipe for disaster :P
Then there's the idiotic maximise behavior, the random paging to disk of apps when there's more than half of the memory free, the *constant* annoyance of flash consuming 100% of the processor, dual core computers locking up for 5minutes when there's no resources (ram or cpu) being used, apps consuming 2gb of disk extra when running, and lots of other fun stuff.
I honestly have a very large appreciation for Steve Jobs for being able to sell so many of these machines. And people actually pay more for them than for a decent computer!

[edit] sorry for the rant, couldn't resist :P [/edit]

Stoic Joker:
Also, alt-tab switches between applications and not windows, which means that if you have more than one window of the same application open (think spreadsheets, or editors, for example), you'll have to use some other combination which switches between windows of the same application. I've been using Mac for over two years and I've resigned to the idea that I will *never* get used to that idiotic way of thinking.-jgpaiva (July 17, 2012, 06:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

So Mac has no equivalent to the Windows Ctrl+Tab MDI document navigation? Bummer.

Renegade:
HA! just kidding!  It was basically far worse than I could have imagined.  Really really a horrible convoluted, unnecessarily complicated and opaque process whose every step feels like it has been designed with the sole purpose of demonstrating the worst case vision of bureaucratic dystopia.
-mouser (July 17, 2012, 04:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh god... I know how you feel...

At the moment I'm using the following for cross platform development:

Monodevelop
C#
GTK# (GTKSharp)

And will be incorporating these once I get to that stage:

OpenTK
MonoGame

Later on for mobile:

Mono for Android
MonoTouch

So far that has magically made the Mac so much less painful. I simply cannot express just how much nicer it is. AND, I can compile on Windows, then deploy to OS X and Linux.

At the moment I'm farting around with figuring out setup packages/packages/installers/app bundles/whateverthehellyouwannacallthem.

I suppose unsurprisingly, I've found Linux easier than Mac for packaging so far, but I'm not finished with either, so the jury is still out. We'll see.

Anyways, just wanted to throw that out there for you. Since you already know C++, C# should be trivial for you as it's managed, and you don't need to worry about things like pointer arithmetic and all that low-level memory management.

If you want to see a very simple example of an application that runs cross platform:

https://github.com/RenegadeMinds/Frackin-Reserve

The code is poor though. I copied and pasted from the original Visual Studio version, which was written linearly as a tutorial on the subject matter for non-programmers, with total disregard for any programming sanity. But whatever. It works and illustrates the basic tool-chain for cross platform development, and consequently, the regaining of sanity on the Mac platform, and a pleasantly surprising reduction in screaming profanities. ;D

nudone:
As a side rant: I absolutely hate the Mac OS approach to having one main menubar at the top of the screen that changes depending on the child window you choose, and the basic approach to having desktop windows that simply vanish into thin air until you can figure out where they went.  God help us if people start to copy the way apple does things..
-mouser (July 17, 2012, 04:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

I Agree 1,000,000%. Amazing how lack of functionality and inconvenience is considered a masterpiece of design.

I wonder how much time is wasted each day for people doing "serious" work on a Mac - simply because they have to use such a terrible interface (not including the time lost whilst they gaze in wonder at all the pretty icons and brushed metal they are probably mesmerized by).

Anyway, sorry to hear your Apple development project lived up to all your worst expectations. Maybe you should try Android?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version