ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Help me think of a small ipad app idea to code

<< < (3/11) > >>

40hz:
One of the most complicated things for a GOOD RSS reader is scheduling threads to download stories.
-Renegade (June 14, 2012, 11:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

Apparently it is. I've had to turn off the autocheck feeds feature in rssrunner to keep it from having problems.

But I wouldn't even care if that wasn't included. I'd just as happily have it only update when I selected an individual feed. It's pretty much what I do with most feed readers anyway since I track a few hundred threads and I'd just as soon not keep being reminded how many things I want to be looking at.

Oh yeah - a mark all as read button would be great too. With the amount of feeds I track I don't read everything (obviously). So it would be great to be able to go in, manually tell it update, cherry pick whatever catches my interest for reading, and then mark the entire collection as read to clear the decks for the next download.
 8)

zridling:
Isn't this the worst problem with iOS -- that it can only update one thing at a time? Android/google can update everything constantly, from apps to widgets to schedules, email, calendar, alarms, etc.

If the RSS idea doesn't fly, how about a simple calculator that doesn't suck? Most calculator apps are designed for specific fields, such as finance or stats or trig. Or perhaps a better loan calculator, for when you buy a car or anything else? (Both have been done a thousand times over, but not with a simple UI and inputs.)

justice:
Isn't this the worst problem with iOS -- that it can only update one thing at a time? Android/google can update everything constantly, from apps to widgets to schedules, email, calendar, alarms, etc. -zridling (June 15, 2012, 01:39 AM)
--- End quote ---
No that's incorrect, have a look at this:
http://speirs.org/blog/2012/1/2/misconceptions-about-ios-multitasking.html

Also now you can geofence your location so that your app can do things when you arrive / leave at a certain location (home / work etc).

TaoPhoenix:

Possible miniapp idea:
Lazy workday clock - A clock that runs slow in the mornings and fast in the afternoon. Always wanted one on the wall, but an interactive one would be fun. Take your time in the morning and finish early.

-justice (June 14, 2012, 04:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

A related mini App that already exists for iPhone is the 25 hour clock. It goes in reverse - makes the morning go fast, to help quell the tendency of some offices "not to get rolling" while everyone spends an hour getting coffee, so it adds a little urgency up until about 2PM (including finishing lunch.) Then a couple of places I worked at had "5PM fever" where things would suddenly appear about 3PM and "have to get done today". So then you turn it off, and poof: It's only 2:25, so you get an extra half hour to finish the mayhem.

phitsc:
DonationCoder forum browser app.

But then all the Apple hipsters would be here on DC ruining the place. :'(

:P
-Deozaan (June 13, 2012, 11:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1 from me!

And when you've done that, port it to Android too :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page