ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Problems with AMD/ATI Radeon HD 6500M/5600/5700 Series GPU driver/software

<< < (2/2)

Stoic Joker:
This is a bit of a tangent, but it may be related so I'll toss it in.

I've got about 50 Dell T1500s running in the field in various offices. They're spec'ed virtually identical (by me) straight business machines with a (from Dell) ATi 2270 Radeon video card. 48 of them ran perfectly. 2 of them BSOD'ed often...and one of those BSOD'ed constantly.

What I found was that there was a video codec (don't recall which one) that the CCC just didn't like that would cause the machine to crash with a kernel-power event. This codec was/is popular with web video sites (like youtube), and oddly enough the machine crash pattern match the user video watching pattern perfectly.

Frequent BSOD = curious user with free time...
Constant BSOD = Doctor who spent all free time on youtube...
Never BSOD = Users with OpenDNS filtered connection that blocked access to youtube (and etc).

Uninstalling the CCC helped a bit (maybe 30%), but the problem continued until Dell finally came out with a driver update about 6 mo. ago.

Carol Haynes:
It is interesting that the AMD tech support seemed to recognise the issue. They didn't offer a solution other than rolling back to a previous driver and waiting for a new release to replace 12.4. They even suggest using 11.12 as more stable than the 12 series!

I have seen lots of posts about problems with 12.4 in particular.

There was no recognisable pattern to the BSODs I saw. There was a range of Bugcheck codes and they happenned playing games, surfing the net, collecting emails or even when the computer was sitting idle. The were all traced to Catalyst driver components.

I have had no BSODS since I rolled back.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version