ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

"Net Nanny" or other inappropriate content blocking programs

<< < (2/2)

wraith808:
I use OpenDNS.  Set your router to use it instead of your ISP's DNS, password protect the router setup, and you are good to go.  You can create a free account and choose what categories to filter, and even do a bit of customizing the block page.  You could also just set her computer to use OpenDNS, however it is much easier and more secure at the router level.

If you need help, let me know and I can walk you through it. In the screenshot below, that is me, and my technologically savvy daughter on the OpenDNS block page.
 (see attachment in previous post)

-y0himba (June 06, 2012, 04:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

I love OpenDNS... the only think I don't like is that the list is crowd sourced.  So until a site is tagged, it's not blocked, and sometimes sites can be blocked that shouldn't necessarily be because of being mis-tagged.

NigelH:
I currently use OpenDNS - just the generic filtering servers that restrict phishing, proxy sites etc.

K9 specifically met this criteria though  - I had success with it when I used to use it.
..I would like one that prompts for a password
--- End quote ---
Once installed, it's really not easy to bypass at all.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version