ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Have I Been Pwned? Check if your email has been compromised in a data breach

<< < (2/2)

4wd:
Out of 23 gmail addresses, 3 have one breach each, (all different).

Not too worried as it was for sites that were unimportant, 2FA is used on the gmail accounts and any important sites.

That site is rather limited in it's checking algorithm though, eg.

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

All the same address as far as email is concerned but the checker regards each as being a separate entity, ie. [email protected] is compromised but as far as the check is concerned, [email protected] won't be.

They need to strip out all the irrelevant characters before checking, both from the input address and their lookup lists.

Deozaan:
And that's not even taking into consideration the infinite number of possible [email protected] addresses. :'(

Ath:
They need to strip out all the irrelevant characters before checking, both from the input address and their lookup lists.
-4wd (April 11, 2018, 10:37 PM)
--- End quote ---
AFAIK, that's only applicable for @gmail.* and gmail provided (undetectable as they can have any domain name, I presume) e-mail addresses, and not for 'regular' e-mail providers :huh:, unless you know of other e-mail providers that follow the same policy/structure?

4wd:
-4wd (April 11, 2018, 10:37 PM)
--- End quote ---
AFAIK, that's only applicable for @gmail.* and gmail provided (undetectable as they can have any domain name, I presume) e-mail addresses, and not for 'regular' e-mail providers :huh:, unless you know of other e-mail providers that follow the same policy/structure?-Ath (April 12, 2018, 01:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

It was an example, (the eg. bit), they could filter based on the domain the email address belongs to, (gmail.com, hotmail.com, mail.ru, etc), using whatever addressing rules the provider uses.

Even if they did it only for gmail it should considerably reduce the size of the lists and the need to input multiple email addresses for checking.

I'm only really talking about the big providers here which would probably cover >90% of the list, it'd be impossible to cater for every domain, (eg. [email protected]).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version