ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Animal Friends thread

<< < (28/80) > >>

tomos:
Wheras in the video above the cat launched her whole body at the dog so forcefully that she becomes disoriented afterwards.  I've never seen a video of a cat do that -- has anyone else here seen such behavior before?
-mouser (May 15, 2014, 11:52 AM)
--- End quote ---
No, I haven't.

Re tolerating children's often unsubtle treatment - yeah, that is a real sign of bonding - most cats I've known are pretty sensitive and would lash out at any strange child, or adult, rubbing them up the wrong way (literally and metaphorically).
And Stoic's interpretation makes sense to me:

Animals are generally tolerant of those that they have bonded with. It's their way of acknowledging a family unit. Now if a member of that bonded family is threatened - since they don't suffer any of the idiotic societal notions we people have concocted - the response, quite predictably, is and will be sudden, hostile, and without warning ... As it should be.
-Stoic Joker (May 15, 2014, 11:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

TaoPhoenix:
"As it should be", but far from all cats do that. A whole lot of them just go "ho hum, look, it's a burglar. I think I am going back to sleep now."

We're used to cats being "cute" so this one of active action will go far for a month.

TaoPhoenix:
The doubt is: did the cat attack the dog to defend its little owner or because the dog was simply an unwelcome intruder?
--- End quote ---

there are lots of videos of cats defending territory or in general antagonizing a dog that is in their area -- but such videos show very different behavior than what we see in the video above.

In such territorial cases the cat approaches with claws front, back up and attempts to scare off and intimidate the intruder, etc.

Wheras in the video above the cat launched her whole body at the dog so forcefully that she becomes disoriented afterwards.  I've never seen a video of a cat do that -- has anyone else here seen such behavior before?
-mouser (May 15, 2014, 11:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

Me neither. This is how Memes are born!

"Flying Ninja Cat!"

Stoic Joker:
"As it should be", but far from all cats do that. A whole lot of them just go "ho hum, look, it's a burglar. I think I am going back to sleep now."-TaoPhoenix (May 15, 2014, 12:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes...but that's not the same thing. A burglar isn't going to be perceived as a threat to the cat (or the cat's "family"), unless the burglar steps on the cat's tail (or tries to swipe the kibble dish). But when a member of ones perceived inner circle is being eaten alive ... Well, that tends to elicit a bit more direct response.

Giampy:

Cats on the scanner:

http://thecatscan.tumblr.com/
http://thecatscan.tumblr.com/archive

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version