ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Visual Studio 11 Express to only build Metro apps

<< < (2/7) > >>

fenixproductions:
I wonder will MS make time bomb out of VS2010.

@Carol Haynes
… since you can't write commercial software using the Express IDE how can you submit it to the store?-Carol Haynes (May 25, 2012, 04:25 AM)
--- End quote ---
AFAIR you could use Epress editions commercially. It was even written on FAQ page but it disappeared (conspiracy?).

Renegade:
I wonder will MS make time bomb out of VS2010.

@Carol Haynes
… since you can't write commercial software using the Express IDE how can you submit it to the store?-Carol Haynes (May 25, 2012, 04:25 AM)
--- End quote ---
AFAIR you could use Epress editions commercially. It was even written on FAQ page but it disappeared (conspiracy?).
-fenixproductions (May 25, 2012, 05:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

You can use it for commercial development (as far as I can remember). IIRC, the only real difference is the functionality and some projects cannot be created in the Express versions... For commercial desktop development, they omitted the setup project from Express. Meaning you just go for Inno Setup instead~! :D (IS is more difficult to get running than the VS setup - the VS MSI is trivial to get working and takes almost zero effort.)

Also, see here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3969484/can-i-produce-a-commercial-application-using-visual-studio-express-2010

eleman:
In any case, if you need visual studio for some purpose, get 2010 express while you can.

Carol Haynes:
Are they going to hobble VS 2010 on Windows 8 ?

Renegade:
Are they going to hobble VS 2010 on Windows 8 ?
-Carol Haynes (May 25, 2012, 07:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

Nah... They're not that greedy and stupid... They'd severely piss off a massive part of their developer audience. That's a total dick move. While I've lost my faith in MS, I don't think they'll be that dickish.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version