topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 3:53 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Kingsoft Office Suite Standard for free today  (Read 3524 times)

brahman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Kingsoft Office Suite Standard for free today
« on: May 23, 2012, 07:50 AM »
Today I stumbled upon this offer:

Kingsoft Office Suite Standard for free today at dailysoftwaregiveaway.com.

Now I added this to my arsenal of office suites consisting of Open Office and Softmaker.

While reading up on KS I also noticed that they have a very highly rated completely free and full featured (not crippled like the other ones) android office suite in google market with a 4.5 out of 10115 votes rating - not bad I guess!

I have never used Kingsoft yet. I know they are very popular in China. BTW Softmaker also has an android office app in public beta on their site, but it won't be free.

It seems that the PC companies have an experience advantage adapting their software to android over the purely mobile competition and apparently can render spreadsheets and docs without dropping and losing PC side features from the file.

What are your experiences with today's Kingsoft offer?
Regards, Brahman

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Kingsoft Office Professional for free today
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 09:54 AM »
Kingsoft Office is fine. Really fine.
The giveaway version is "Professional"; they have no "Standard" except the always free version.

Two minor problems, though:
Notice during installation how doc and rtf cannot be separated:

2012-05-23_164540.gif

And another problem is that the auto-updater is installed to Start with Windows, without asking.

But otherwise a really fine giveaway ♥

Gwen7

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Kingsoft Office Suite Standard for free today
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 10:09 AM »
it's nice to be given the option of not using a ribbon bar.

but it also seems to be totally ignorant about open and closed quotation marks. there is also no "smart quotes" option afaict. this can be a real problem if you use quotes a lot. submitting anything using the "inches" sign instead of proper quotation marks brands you as an amateur. and some publications (and university instructors) will summarily reject a manuscript that doesn't use the correct symbols. something to be aware of.