ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Getting Started with C#

(1/2) > >>

Scott:
I think I may begin learning C#, especially after mouser's excellent post in this thread.  Now, I'm wondering where to begin.  Yes, I am absolutely green, and I hate that feeling.

Obviously, I need an IDE.  Microsoft has these "Express Editions", but I'm wondering if "Express Edition" means "You'll Need Something Better After Two Months Edition".  Of course, the full-blown "Professional Edition" is a big jump in price.  Is it worth it?

Can someone offer insight into this?

Any other suggestions would be welcome, too.  Book suggestions, anything.  (I know book selection is somewhat personal, but some books are still better than others.)

mouser:
free c# ide for windows  -> http://www.icsharpcode.net/opensource/sd/
no doubt there are others too.

Scott:
Cool, thanks.  I installed it, and now I have that feeling I would have if I sat in the cockpit of a 747.  :)

From the looks of it, Learn to Program with C# by John Smiley is a good choice for newbies.  Time to go to the bookstore...

mouser:
i revived this thread from our defunct programming section.

Edvard:
Look out C#, here comes D!
(from the folks at www.digitalmars.com who bring you dmcpp, a free C/C++ Compiler)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version