ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows Aero (transparent window borders, etc.) is dead.. Good riddance

<< < (2/6) > >>

Ampa:
I've always found Aero confusing... being able to see through window titles / edges to the blurred clutter beyond seems akin to working at a glass desk and being constantly distracted by your own feet!

The Win8 mockup does look incredibly bland though!

Stoic Joker:
I have no problem with Aero, never did. But the guy's article has some holes in the facts department.

Even given what it did, it was apparently piggy.
...(Apple fawning removed to help his credibility)...
 But I still don’t understand why Aero consumed resources as voraciously as it did. Microsoft had to build in a feature which shut the special effects off if they were bringing a PC to its knees — which, on the reasonably powerful desktop which I bought in 2007, they often did.
--- End quote ---

Frankly it didn't, it was just really easy to pick on. The desktop had been converted from bmp to 3D - requiring a beefier video card - and the hardware crowd was dragging their feet getting a stable driver together. Sure Aero was a bit of 3D fluff at the tip of the iceburg...but the 3D desktop was the actual problem. That and cheapout hardware packages (like XP machines that came with only 256MB of RAM...) I'd been a long time nVidia user...until Vista. I had to switch to ATi and I've never looked back (or had any problems).

such as the System Tray cheerfully allowing third-party programs to install unwanted crudware — stuff that bogged down your PC, got in your face  and was sometimes devilishly hard to uninstall. But Microsoft ignored such long-standing flaws in favor of playing up Aero’s empty calies.

--- End quote ---

And the version in 2009′s Windows 7 looked better, performed better and was accompanied by other improvements with more substance, such as the ability to banish pesky System Tray icons.
--- End quote ---

These two put together are just to stupid for words... Hiding an icon from the user doesn't improve performance. It just makes it harder to figure out what is wasting system resources. Turning the programs off will actually resolve the issue. After listening to end lusers mindlessly babble that nothing is running... for so many time I think that allowing the icons to be hidding is the dumbest thing MS ever did (...Second only to hiding file extensions by default).

mouser:
Agree 100% with your comments about hiding.

In fact in every case where MS has tried to hide stuff, the result has been an unmitigated non-trivial disaster on all fronts:

* Hiding (and rearranging) menu items
* Hiding system tray icons for running processes
* Hiding file extensions
* Hiding whole file directories
* Hiding where user documents are stored
Microsoft would do well to reverse this mindset and undo this stuff.

cranioscopical:
Microsoft would do well to reverse this mindset and undo this stuff.
-mouser (May 22, 2012, 11:51 AM)
--- End quote ---
They, themselves, deserve a good hiding!

(One of the first things I did with 7 was to lose Aero.)

Stoic Joker:
(One of the first things I did with 7 was to lose Aero.)-cranioscopical (May 22, 2012, 12:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

I Just drop the border thickness from (the default) 4 to 2, and find it rather handy for keeping better track of exactly which windows are behind the active one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version