ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Is Linux just a hobby?

<< < (32/36) > >>

superboyac:
You can watch the screencast here:
http://minus.com/lbaph37Mp5JOcB

You can download it also.  It's about 29 minutes, 80 MB.  I go through attempting a command line installation on Linux Mint.  It's all done in real time, and it's my actual first time trying to do it.

jgpaiva:
You can watch the screencast here:
http://minus.com/lbaph37Mp5JOcB

You can download it also.  It's about 29 minutes, 80 MB.  I go through attempting a command line installation on Linux Mint.  It's all done in real time, and it's my actual first time trying to do it.
-superboyac (July 24, 2012, 08:59 AM)
--- End quote ---
That made me smile so many times :) Thanks a lot!
Also, I really wasn't expecting the bonus ending. Nice! :D

I really think that the comparison you made,"this is harder than double-clicking the exe and pressing next-next-next", isn't exactly fair since you tried installing from source, so you would have to compare with installing from source in windows also (which would be a pretty similar experience, I guess).
Now, let's try to keep this discussion civilized, guys :)

PS: did you have anyone operating the camera or is it smart enough to follow you?  :-\

40hz:
Aram! The Man!!! :Thmbsup:

I'm too sexy for my distro...too sexy for my...      ;-))

I've often wished somebody would do a honest to goodness "live" installation and make an unscripted real-time video of it like this one.

Downloading it now. Can't wait to watch it when I get a free half hour. Woo-hoo! 8)

barney:
It is the elitist attitude that is still present in several old-time Linux users that really detracts from the overall Linux movement.
-Josh (July 19, 2012, 11:24 AM)
--- End quote ---
I would change several old-time to many experienced  :P, but otherwise am in complete agreement with that statement.  That is what has turned me away from most forms of Linux every time I've tried to mainstream it, not just use it for tech/recovery purposes.

I mentioned the RTFMs earlier that I got in the forae.  There's a little more to that than just the statement.  Almost every time someone makes that recommendation, they are making a number of assumptions.  First, they assume that you have not read the manual - or man pages.  Second, they assume that if you do read that documentation, you will come away with the same understanding they have.  And, to a lesser extent, they are irritated that your questions intrude on reading the really important stuff in that particular forum.

But the bottom line, for me at least, is the quality of the documentation.  There's a lot of information there, but most of it is written by experienced users for experienced users.  I spent a few years as a technical writer, and believe you me, there is an art to it, an art that many people just don't have.  Writing about technical matters in such a manner that non-technical people can read and make sense of the material takes a lot of work.  I understand why the docs are written the way they are, but that does not make them easier to read/interpret.

40hz:
For those new to Linux who may have  been following along...

If you're serious about getting into Linux, check out any of the books put out by Mark G. Sobell. Amazon page here. If you need information, search no further. Here is bedrock.

Start with either Fedora or Ubuntu - and work your way through either his Fedora or Ubuntu specific titles.

You can also supplement either book with one of the O'Reilly "Hacks" titles. There are versions specifically for Ubuntu and Fedora. These give you short well written chapters for dealing with common niggling issues plus instructions for fun/useful stuff to do - all in a handy cookbook format.

If you want to go beyond that, you can then pick up  a copy of his A Practical Guide to Linux Commands, Editors, and Shell Programming. Lots more good stuff here starting at the intermediate user level and moving well into the expert range.

Another superb title (and pretty much the current bible of all things Linux) is UNIX and Linux System Administration Handbook. If you want to do something with Linux as a career, this tome is a must have. And forget the MAN pages. They are written by experts for experts. This book spells things out in plain-speak. Or at least as much as is possible. (Note: Some things are never going to be completely easy to get your head around until you start actively using them. And even then, some parts of Linux are just plain hard to grasp or deal with. Remember: even experts have to RTFM every so often. And when they do, this is the "FM" they usually reach for.)

Also check out the Distrowatch website and prepare to sample the bounty of distros and packages available to a Linux user. And all at no charge.

If you want to experience a very elegant desktop environment, give Linux Mint a try. If you want something a little more 'ninja' try CrunchBang Linux. For full blown bells & whistles check out Pinguy OS or Sabayon.

...or put a second NIC card in an old PC you have gathering dust, and turn it into a full-bore commercial grade firewall network appliance that can easily hold its own against products that would otherwise cost hundreds if not thousands by downloading and installing pfSense or Smoothwall Express on it.

...or build a very capable home server with FreeNAS...

...or network gateway server appliance with Zenytal or ClearOS

...or build a home theater media server using XBMC or a DVR box with MythTV.

Or even better...if you really want to understand how Linux works, try a modern bare metal distro like Arch Linux where you need to set everything up by hand - but end up with a completely customized desktop or server that does exactly what you want it to do the way you want to do it. (And also become an expert user in the process.)

I could (maybe do? :-\ ) go on and on... ;D

One of these days I'm going to have to write this all up once and for all and put it in a PDF for download. :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version