ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Is Linux just a hobby?

<< < (4/36) > >>

Renegade:
You feel you "must" upgrade, out of some intrinsic "need" to upgrade. No one makes you upgrade the Windows OS you have.
-Josh (May 22, 2012, 02:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

I cordially invite you to go install Windows 3.1, 95, or 98, then come back and post your results here at DC~! ;D :P

Sorry -- couldn't resist that~! :D Just poking fun~!

dantheman:
Mind you Renegade, Windows 95 was lightning fast and stable!  :Thmbsup:
How i miss the days of Windows 98...  :'(
Not really.
Lord knows how many times i had to reboot Windows 98 SE before it finally kicked in properly.

Now have Ubuntu "WUBI" style installed.
It was resource hog at first with updates and Thunderbird (configured to download messages for offline).
But everything is pretty cool right now.  :-*

As zridling put it, perhaps OpenSUSE would be much lighter and easier to work with.
If it has a WUBI style installation, perhaps i can give it a try.

If there's one thing that i hear people pushing Linux repeat,
it's the fact that you don't need an Antivirus program.
Just recently, i read something about one of Apple's products that will likely be prone to this nightmare during 2012.
What can guarantee it won't happen to Linux too?

Josh:
The "You don't need an antivirus application" point is being proven very moot, very quickly. Apple and their walled garden are showing that EVERY, YES EVERY, operating system is vulnerable, it is just a matter of how much benefit is gained from exploiting it. All it is going to take is for a handful of big, largely publicized exploits to occur on Linux and users will see. Right now, the focus is on individual apps within Linux (Apache and various other daemons).

mahesh2k:
What can guarantee it won't happen to Linux too?
--- End quote ---
Linux has it's own set of security issues if you allow it. Script kiddies, google it. So yes, it is possible to have security issues in linux too but not like windows which makes system unstable or like apple even for using anti-virus products. This is the reason you should take care while downloading scripts from the Internet before you run on your terminal. Also avoid unsafe or untrusted repositories.

dantheman:
I recall looking for a Christmas theme image on the web and caught a trojan or whatever (on Windows) simply by hovering over the image in the search result. Could this ever happen on Linux too?

Don't know if zridling is still listening in, but i recall now one of the issues that i find annoying in Ubuntu.
You can't hide, move or autohide the top panel (as far as i know, you can make it transparent but it will never disappear). That's why i've been dabbing about with LinuxMint (prior to latest WUBI installation). Even auto-hiding quick launch is somewhat... anyway!
Which is better to try out : openSuse Gnome or KDE ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version