ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What will be your next computer?

<< < (10/14) > >>

MilesAhead:
I have skipped vista and win7 but I think my new PC will be a win8.
-mouser (July 13, 2012, 05:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'd get Win7.  Even a lot of the regulars on Windows Seven forum who count the days to beta leaks and releases are taking a pass on 8. It's just a stop gap so MS doesn't miss out on the finger drag market. For a desktop machine W7 is better.

40hz:
I need something portable this time. Mac Mini with linux ? I'll see if there is any similar box for linux.
-mahesh2k (July 18, 2012, 05:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

See my post above. 8)

The MintBox. Article here.

It's made by CompuLab. If you're not interested in this particular Linux Mint configuration, there are also 'bare metal' PCs on their website. They make the popular fit-PC series that the MintBox is based on. Grab one of those and install whatever distro you like best. 8)

AndyM:
I have skipped vista and win7 but I think my new PC will be a win8.
-mouser (July 13, 2012, 05:22 PM)
--- End quote ---
I'm still running XP on a laptop that stays connected to a 24" monitor and external keyboard/mouse (I used to move the laptop between 2 offices, each w/ the same monitor/kbd/mouse).

Sometimes it's nice to use my wife's iPad if I'm not in my office (it's never worth moving the laptop), but it would make no sense at all to get another iPad.

Like Mouser, I'm thinking of jumping from XP to Windows 8 (I'm a slow os adopter, moved from OS/2 to XP in 2003).  I'm also going to have to bite the bullet and upgrade Word & Excel 2002, so I might as well think of a big jump there too.

So I'm thinking of getting a Surface tablet, using it as a tablet on the porch and plugging it into my current office setup to learn Windows 8 and Office 201n. 

Someone offered to buy me an iPad, but I declined since it would have been a waste of money.  But I imagine the offer would extend to a Surface Pro.

jadinolf:
I ordered the parts for my latest and maybe last computer on May 21, 2012.

i5, SSD, 1G video card, 8G Corsair memory Win 7 Pro 64 bit.

Bought all the parts and OS from Newegg and it cost a bundle.

That's gonna be it for a while.

mahesh2k:
I need something portable this time. Mac Mini with linux ? I'll see if there is any similar box for linux.
-mahesh2k (July 18, 2012, 05:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

See my post above. 8)
 (see attachment in previous post)The MintBox. Article here.
It's made by CompuLab. If you're not interested in this particular Linux Mint configuration, there are also 'bare metal' PCs on their website. They make the popular fit-PC series that the MintBox is based on. Grab one of those and install whatever distro you like best. 8)

-40hz (July 18, 2012, 06:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

looks cool to me. I checked system76s box which is not yet updated for new hardware- it has Dual core atom processor I know old one. costs at 399, nice config. thinking about that for now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version