ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What will be your next computer?

<< < (3/14) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
"Built my last desktop  (((Edit))) with XP Six years (((/Edit))) ago and figure it will last until desktops no longer exist (or are outlawed by "The Corporation").

I designed this entire strategy in 2006 and named my desktop "Twilight" (in the Asimovian sense, not the teen vampire sense!).

Its purpose in 2006 was a review of the Vista debacle, and I spent a fair extra bit of funds including a couple custom chips on quality to get past both what is now Windows 7 (Vista Repaired), and what I intuited but could not possibly have had the vocab for, Windows 8 Metro.

In other words, I desperately need context past Windows 8 Metro, *past the marketing blitz*, to get past what might be a lot more like the Zune rather than Vista 2.

Either way, I have to hold on tight, hoping my hardware doesn't crash, and see what the state of computing is in 2015. That's a lot to ask of my dear ol' workhorse comp, but it's 50 50 odds at least, so I'll try.

You don't hear a lot about Microsoft in the music space lately - after the double crush of both PlaysForSure then Zune, they're hosed. Someone discovered that phones play music, and that was that.

(Never mind my iPhone can't keep a charge on "off" for more than 36 hours, but bleh)
If nothing else, all this Metro crap feels so much like Zune 2. So by 2015 Windows 7 will be right where XP is now, a fading glory. Then MS has to quit "experimenting" (and this time pissing off their core user base?) and decide what Windows 9 means - Return of the Desktop or Metro-or-Die.

THAT is when I will get my next computer.

And if we're not careful, the Chinese have been remarkably lazy, but they could pull a Dark Horse and create a Linux Distro that sinks uBuntu and becomes The Third OS In The Ring.

rgdot:
A middle of the road desktop. Don't have need for the top of the line stuff. Not a gamer, etc.
Then, if my current desktop is not completely dead I will put one of the (small) Linux distros on it, just for the fun of it.

cranioscopical:
From what's on offer today, another desktop. Nothing can beat them for horsepower and screen real estate, and using either my tablet or my phone (both clever devices) for the work that I do is just a joke.

If/when something comes along at the consumer level with some kind of eyeball display, obviating the need for a screen, then I'll  reconsider.

Renegade:
From what's on offer today, another desktop. Nothing can beat them for horsepower and screen real estate, and using either my tablet or my phone (both clever devices) for the work that I do is just a joke.

If/when something comes along at the consumer level with some kind of eyeball display, obviating the need for a screen, then I'll  reconsider.
-cranioscopical (May 19, 2012, 09:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

OH GOD~!

+1,000,000~!

Laptops are poor substitutes for a computer. A real one.

What I REALLY REALLY DESPERATELY want is a portable desktop that I can just plug into a dock that has the monitors, keyboard, and mouse all connected already.

Imagine a tablet that has the power of a desktop, and you just take that with you, plug it in wherever, and you're up and running WITH YOUR COMPUTER THAT RUNS SANELY!

My tablet is for reading.

My phone is for, well, nothing. I don't really use it.

My laptop sits there doing jack all.

My desktop is where it's at. Power. UNLIMITED POWER~!

;D :P

nosh:
I don't really need a laptop but I've decided to get one the next time my PC conks off. I intend to use it as a backup machine to carry me through the down time. My ASUS mobo had conked off a few years back and they took three weeks to replace it. If that happened today, I'd just buy a new mobo on the spot and eventually get stuck with a spare. Makes more sense to buy a backup machine.

The only catch: the laptop's going to gather dust once the desktop is operational. I'll probably start it up once a week or so for backup and maintenance.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version