ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > DC Member Programs and Projects

Wanted: better desktop icon grouping system

<< < (4/5) > >>

lifespurpose:
I was returning to the first post of the thread. I don't know anything about Splinter, went to their page and it looks complicated, far more than I need. As for fences, correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears to leave all your program icons showing, it just corrals them into groups set apart by shading. I want ONLY the group icons to show. Then when one is clicked, a compact pick list of PROGRAM (or document) icons and/or labelled buttons appears. Not an entire window of icons spaced far apart on a white background, as Windows explorer does. Really not a radical idea.

wraith808:
I was returning to the first post of the thread. I don't know anything about Splinter, went to their page and it looks complicated, far more than I need. As for fences, correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears to leave all your program icons showing, it just corrals them into groups set apart by shading. I want ONLY the group icons to show. Then when one is clicked, a compact pick list of PROGRAM (or document) icons and/or labelled buttons appears. Not an entire window of icons spaced far apart on a white background, as Windows explorer does. Really not a radical idea.
-lifespurpose (August 18, 2015, 01:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

That is incorrect- you can see that from my simple use that it doesn't just space them apart, but allows you to set them where you wish.  You can create your own fences to show icons which can be clicked to launch said icon.  You can also use the fences to show a portal into a folder, or many folders.  You can hide them at will or show them by double clicking on the desktop.  You can also scroll the fences so that you scroll between pages, and auto organize or hide icons as they are created.  Quite a bit more than what you say; my uses were just not that complicated.  It, however, does not show folders as menus, other than in the actual fence in the case of a desktop portal, i.e. it drills down.  You can however, pair it with something like 7stacks or StandaloneStack so that each one invokes one of your stacks.

Some examples I whipped up quickly.  The only things that I've noticed is that (a) with 7stacks, it constrains the location of the popup to the bottom of the screen, and (b) with standalone stack, it actually runs a new version of the application for each stack opened.  They're small... but that's messy IMO>

Also for future reference, if you think the thread has gone off of what you want to ask or you want to add more, it might be clearer to just make a comment to add to the thread stating that you'd tried the options and what your results are and how they failed in that capacity.

Curt:
Can someone explain it?  I'm not going to look at a video just to see about software...-wraith808 (August 17, 2015, 10:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

^seriously?

:-[  

This is from dmd7978's first post about Splinter:

Splinter is a real-time still imagery in motion desktop interface / super simple imagery based programming language, and the ultimate desktop customizer. It turns your desktop into Wonderland, where the impossible becomes possible, and it is only limited by the imagination.

It combines the 5 most commonly used desktop application functionality genres:

File Launcher, Icon Docking Station, Stack Docklet, Wallpaper Flipper, Visual Style Editor

in a unique way, giving it uniquely amazing abilities that have never been seen-dmd7978
--- End quote ---
http://deema78.deviantart.com/-deviantart
--- End quote ---
... many people still haven't realized that NOTHING you see within a splinterface is "animation" There is no animation with Splinter. There is ONLY a STILL PNG IMAGE OPENING. It opens from one set of variables to another. It is called "splanime". Using the three sets of variables, you are able to make a still image opening appear as though it is pre-recorded / frame by frame animation.

This is key for two reasons. One, it means that everything is always and forever editable, simply by changing out the image or adjusting how it opens. Two, because since they are "just" still images, they are no different than any other "icon" (either standard desktop icons or a 3rd party dock icon). Meaning that they are able to be hotlinked just like any other "image"/icon
-dmd7978 (July 20, 2012, 09:35 PM)
--- End quote ---
Hi. Thanks again for the reply. Yes, absolutely, splinter can do exactly what you ask, it just does it "differently". I would gladly create/show how/or anything else for ANY specific request or question, it just needs to be asked.-dmd7978
--- End quote ---
Re: Splinter go here to read dmd7978's thorough and enthusiastic answer to me.
--- End quote ---
I genuinely don't know what to make of this (Splinter).

Splinter claims to be a revolutionary new way to interact with Windows. It's a visually rich launcher, I guess, with a massive amount of (allegedly) simple ways to customise things.

I've been trying to persuade the author to add some words to the many, many pictures on his site but he seems to be struggling to clearly communicate the features, benefits and so forth of Splinter without getting, well, so deep into what you can do and how easy it is that you lose track fast.
-oblivion (May 04, 2012, 05:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

oh no, videos just about software!

All About Splinter

Splinter Icon Dock Tutorial

-dmd7978 (May 15, 2013, 02:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

wraith808:
Can someone explain it?  I'm not going to look at a video just to see about software...-wraith808 (August 17, 2015, 10:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

^seriously?

:-[ 

-Curt (August 18, 2015, 04:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

Seriously.  When someone just drops a video, says this satisfies your needs, doesn't include a link to the software site.... yeah, I skip it.  The only reason I even asked was that it came up again.

Curt:
half of my "seriously?" was because I found it unlikely that you didn't remember Splinter. The author got quite some attention 3 years ago when he launched Splinter here on DonationCoder's forum - some of it because he talked like an lifestyle advert, instead of a pedagogic instructor - and some of it because it was (is!) very difficult for him to explain what the program actually does. His homepage: http://spli-stuff.blogspot.co.uk/

modified:
Oh, of course: His program is a system for grouping the desktop icons.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version