ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Get the most out of your multi-processor computer

<< < (2/2)

TaoPhoenix:
I think we're on the edge of a crash in Moore's Law for a bit with the whole Cores thing. I have one of the first Quad Cores, and 6 years later app writers are struggling to make threaded apps. Then let's say you write your app for 4 cores, then next year Intel does an 8 core comp, boom, you're back to wasted comp power again.

Meanwhile we gotta be close to some hard limits on the die shrink side as well, so for once MS might need to prune its code instead of relying on hardware.

Edit:

Does anyone have a utility that shows you all (here, four) cores and separate out the processes by core?  So then you can see an older app using all of one core and none of the other three maybe?

Ath:
Then let's say you write your app for 4 cores, then next year Intel does an 8 core comp, boom, you're back to wasted comp power again.
-TaoPhoenix (May 06, 2012, 04:11 AM)
--- End quote ---
If you (not personal) had taken the correct approach, you'd either code for 0, 1 or n cores, meaning not, single-threading or (unlimited) multi-threading, and not for a specific number of cores 8) (and that could start a whole new discussion, I know, please don't take it there) I'm just saying that limiting to a specific number of cores (or other array-like structures) is just wrong. By design.

Ath:
separate out the processes by core?
--- End quote ---
Would Process Explorer do?

tomos:
separate out the processes by core?
--- End quote ---
Would Process Explorer do?
-Ath (May 06, 2012, 06:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

I thought of that, but it doesnt do the next request:
> separate out the processes by core

still, it's a start

Ath:
Well, it can give a few graphs for a single application, and a listview of the threads owned by that application-instance, if you double-click an application:

But true, that's not a graph per cpu-core :huh:

But you can limit the cpu-affinity to 1 or more CPU's (default it's to all, like on my i7-860):

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version