ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Firefall developer: "Consoles, I believe, are dead"

<< < (3/4) > >>

Deozaan:
Incidentally, the "Android Marketplace" app on 1 of my Android devices got automatically removed and "upgraded" to "Google Play". Ahem... You mean you f**ked with MY device? You deleted s**t without asking me? Yeah... F*** you too. Not happy about that.-Renegade (May 03, 2012, 05:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

Huh? :huh:

How do you expect to keep using the Android Market if it doesn't take you to Google Play? It's the same thing. It's just been renamed and got a new icon. You don't complain when the DNS entry for "donationcoder.com" updates to a new IP address, do you?

Renegade:
Incidentally, the "Android Marketplace" app on 1 of my Android devices got automatically removed and "upgraded" to "Google Play". Ahem... You mean you f**ked with MY device? You deleted s**t without asking me? Yeah... F*** you too. Not happy about that.-Renegade (May 03, 2012, 05:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

Huh? :huh:

How do you expect to keep using the Android Market if it doesn't take you to Google Play? It's the same thing. It's just been renamed and got a new icon. You don't complain when the DNS entry for "donationcoder.com" updates to a new IP address, do you?
-Deozaan (May 04, 2012, 01:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

If I owned "donationcoder.com", you're damn straight I'd be pissed! But I don't. ;)

I own my tablet. It's mine. Not someone else's. Mine. Deleting anything on it WITHOUT asking me isn't acceptable. It doesn't matter if the old marketplace is dead or not. The point is that something was deleted on MY property without asking me.

If someone comes into your house and takes your couch because you happened to be late on a payment, that's still theft. You owe those people money - not a couch. Breaking and entering is breaking and entering. Theft is theft. Hacking is hacking.

They could have avoided pissing me off by simply displaying a notice. That's all it would have taken. But they didn't. They just went ahead and deleted it. THAT's what ticks me off. Because if they'll do it for one thing, they'll do it for another.

As for being renamed and given a new icon -- that's not what happened. That would have been just that, and while somewhat odd, still acceptable. There was a very clear market icon, and it's now gone. Completely. Not replaced. Instead, a different piece of software was installed and it is located in a different location.

Anyways, I'm over it. I don't like people breaking into my computers, but that's life. If you are a government or big corporation, you get to do whatever you want. Might makes right.

SeraphimLabs:
Surely you all heard the meme from the current generation console release:

The PS3 has no games!

And rightly so. Consoles really are only useful for big title releases of games that are intended for mainstream audiences, and are built from the ground up by corporate for corporate as platforms to corner the market in a way that nobody else can possibly break into.

Also a quick note on most mobile devices:
Most cellphones or tablets that you got from your wireless company are in fact not yours. Clearly written in the contract you signed when you signed up for their services it states that at all times the device and all of it's contents are the property of the company that you get service from, and as such they are free to do whatever they please with them regardless of if you like that or not.

Your only recourse if you object to this is to get service somewhere else.

Now there are ways around this of course, since some carriers do let you provide your own device and I believe under those circumstances they would not gain ownership of it, but most of the time people buy the device with the service contract.

Renegade:

The PS3 has no games!

And rightly so. Consoles really are only useful for big title releases of games that are intended for mainstream audiences, and are built from the ground up by corporate for corporate as platforms to corner the market in a way that nobody else can possibly break into.

Also a quick note on most mobile devices:
Most cellphones or tablets that you got from your wireless company are in fact not yours. Clearly written in the contract you signed when you signed up for their services it states that at all times the device and all of it's contents are the property of the company that you get service from, and as such they are free to do whatever they please with them regardless of if you like that or not.

Your only recourse if you object to this is to get service somewhere else.

Now there are ways around this of course, since some carriers do let you provide your own device and I believe under those circumstances they would not gain ownership of it, but most of the time people buy the device with the service contract.
-SeraphimLabs (May 05, 2012, 10:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

Interesting...

Regarding tablets not being "my" property, I didn't sign anything. I know some do. For my tablet, I didn't. It's mine flat out. If I want to lie to MY property, that's my perogative. If I want to destroy it? Same. There are NO rights beyond MINE on MY tablet.

Which is why I'm so f**king pissed that those c**ts at Google deleted software on MY tablet. Very, very, very NOT happy here.

I pretty much need to shut up at this point, because anything further I have to say on it goes in Soap Box. ;) (Already ranted on this before -- still ticked when it comes up though.)

EDIT: I know I'm going to get flak for this... Bring it. ;) I'll justify it. ;) :P

TaoPhoenix:

The PS3 has no games!
-SeraphimLabs (May 05, 2012, 10:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry, I missed the Meme-o. What is this about the PS3 having no games?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version