ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Firefall developer: "Consoles, I believe, are dead"

<< < (2/4) > >>

wraith808:
You scared me with that title.  I thought it meant command prompts   :sick:
-rjbull (May 03, 2012, 10:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

I read that the same way!  :D
-daddydave (May 03, 2012, 10:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

I read it as Consolas the font - couldnt get my head around it...
-tomos (May 03, 2012, 02:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's, the, commas.  They always, cause problems in, comprehension. ;D

rjbull:
I read it as Consolas the font-tomos (May 03, 2012, 02:10 PM)
--- End quote ---
Sounds like a Spanish girlfriend  :)

TaoPhoenix:
Back on Topic, in a way the act of deciding not to play a AAA game for "something smaller" is almost a type of consumer revolt. Overall cultural companies are trying to push us to "Moar Moar Moar" and to disdain last year's game so that they can increase sales. But it's just getting exhausting. "Pff - you mean this isn't in holographic 3d? who needs that?"

So Angry Birds and Farmville are my first examples of that revolt back to "flash in the pan" gaming. So is things like Ludum Dare.

Renegade:
If anyone has ever looked at what it takes to get a game on a console... it's a massive amount of effort.

The last console I had was an Atari 2600. It's been a while. :P

Back then, the word for "console" was "Atari". ;D

I won't cry if consoles die though. They're a choke point, and we're better off with free distribution on the Internet instead of controlled, walled-gardens.

Incidentally, the "Android Marketplace" app on 1 of my Android devices got automatically removed and "upgraded" to "Google Play". Ahem... You mean you f**ked with MY device? You deleted s**t without asking me? Yeah... F*** you too. Not happy about that. It's not that the marketplace got replaced - it's that I don't walk into your house and s**t on the floor, and I don't expect others to do the same to me. Malware deletes stuff without asking you. Breaking into a computer that belongs to someone else and deleting stuff while installing other stuff is what we call "a criminal offense" in most places - you go to jail for it. But somehow it's ok if Google does it?

Nah... This entire control-freak stuff like consoles has to go.

What I would like to see is a version of Android that isn't malware. iOS will always be malware, so there's no hope there, but Android has a faint glimmer of hope...

It would be nice to see consoles more open as well. I'd be more inclined to get one if they were...

TaoPhoenix:

I'd like to separate the "console" from the "content". I get grumpy lately when news articles mash up two variables (or more!) to come to a conclusion. It's like saying that 6'1 out of shape Chicago Vegans can beat 4'11 Eskimos with perfect blood cholesterol in a foot race, based on a sample size of 6 each. (And they call this stuff "Science" now! What kind of science is that??!)

So let's talk about A, the "Console vs PC", and B, "AAA vs Indie/smaller games."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version