ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Kickstarter Highlight: Amanda Palmer: The new RECORD, ART BOOK, and TOUR

<< < (2/3) > >>

tomos:
The album is available, like the link says: pay what you want:
http://www.amandapalmer.net/shop/pay-what-you-want/

for a download, she says $1 covers the covers, so I guess it would be nice to give more.
I paid for one (FLAC) and also got a free download (320/mp3) to save me converting if necessary :-)

tomos:
... may be good to post a video so you can hear it ;-)

the music often has a raw edge,
I like that myself, YMMV.

A nice video here, good track as well --> NSFW (nekkidness - nothing offensive though imo)

youtube playlist for the album is here

I haven't really listened properly to the album, but like what I've heard. Lots of influence from punk/pop late 70's/early 80's.

40hz:
Raw, exposed, and complex. But that's Amanda Palmer. Ya likes it - or ya don't. (I like it.) ;D  

Parts remind me a lot of early Clash. Not a bad thing at all IMHO. We need a little more articulate rage to offset the glut of incoherent and partisan ranting we're getting these days. :Thmbsup:

A nice video here, good track as well --> NSFW (nekkidness - nothing offensive though imo)
-tomos (September 25, 2012, 05:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

@tomos -my GF watched and made an interesting comment about it: "How can anyone possibly be offended? There's not enough girl to get offended over."
 ;D

wraith808:
She actually did a video and a set with Wayne Coyne in Boston- and replaced Erykah Badu in his video after that singer's remarks about the first cut (note- don't bite the hand), so yeah... she gets a lot of her influences from that era.  And the album is running #10 on the charts.

40hz:
^Yeah. I get that from her. But maybe it's because the band I was in that I liked best (Maelstrom - "High-Energy Rock") was also part of the Boston music scene back in the 70s when "punk" and "new wave" were first starting to gain traction in the US.

Long live The Rat! The quintessential hole-in-the-wall "dive bar."

The Rathskeller (known as The Rat for short) was a Kenmore Square live music venue in Boston, Massachusetts that was open from 1974 to 1997. As implied by its name "Rat(h)skeller" (German: "council cellar"), the Rathskeller was a dimly-lit establishment. It had a bar and restaurant on the street level and a rock club in the basement. (The restaurant, the Hoodoo BBQ, was included in Esquire magazine's 1985 list of the Top 100 Restaurants in America.)

One Boston-area magazine describes:

There was also a new Ground Zero for live performance in Boston at that time. Deep below freaky-funky Kenmore Square, the Rathskellar (or, as everyone called it, “The Rat”) was a dingy subterranean dive bar that would appeal to the ever-burgeoning punk movement, and that hosted shows by everyone from Talking Heads and Tom Petty to Thin Lizzy and The Ramones. Everybody played there—and would continue to do so until the club finally closed its doors in 1997 amid a movement toward gentrification.[1]

The Rat also hosted such acts as the Cars, Pixies, Metallica,the Dead Kennedys, The Police, The Replacements, and R.E.M.. The Rathskeller closed in November 1997 and was ultimately razed in October 2000 to make way for the Hotel Commonwealth, a 148-room luxury hotel of which Boston University is a limited partner.[2]

The Rat is referenced in both Guitar Hero II and Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the 80s, where one of the venues is called "The Rat Cellar" and it is located in Boston. The Rat is recalled in the song 'Poor Poor Jimmy' by Street Dogs.
--- End quote ---

Musicians and groups desperately need venues like The Rat. Too bad there are so few of them left.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version