ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

VistaGlance

<< < (2/4) > >>

nudone:
i thought there would have been more interest in 'vistaglance' as it's similar to 'find and run robot' - but only for files... no?

Konstantin:
Hello! My name is Konstantin Artemev. I am the author of VistaGlance. One of VistaGlance users told me about this topic and I decided to join.

seems a bit retarded to type in a search term and then have to resort to the mouse to open up the file/folder within the results. if that is how it has to work then i may as well just click through windows explorer (or whatever file manager) with the mouse without resorting to using the keyboard.
--- End quote ---

This is a known bug, I will correct this tommorow. I will post a notice here when the new version is available.

i thought there would have been more interest in 'vistaglance' as it's similar to 'find and run robot' - but only for files... no?
--- End quote ---

The concept of the software I develop is really close to 'find and run robot', but a bit in other direction. Here is my explanation I recently posted to VistaGlance forum:

Indeed I am developing a system to replace file related functions of your OS.

Imagine such picture.

Perhaps you want OS to perform some action with your files or documents. You simply type what you need to be done with natural language. There are no strict forms of queires. you just type what you think. The systems tries to guess what you have in view and gives you a list of possible interpretations of your words - possible actions. It's like a text quest or interactive fiction where you describe your actions using the power of natural language. Of course, you will be able to use synonyms, words with fuzzy meaning, descriptions, aliases, and os on... For example, the command like

"copy all files from flash to desktop" can mean both "COPY *.* FROM F:\ (if F: is your flash drive) TO C:\Documents and Settings\[user name here]\Desktop"

and

"COPY *files* FROM *flash* TO *DESKTOP*"

where *something* just means any file or folder with contains "something" in its name. So computer gives you the list of possible meanings and you just agree with one of its items. This system should definitely have elements of artificial intelligence, should learn...

I'm developing such system now. VistaGlance is a just a first step to easy file and document access and manipulations.

nudone:
great to hear from you, Konstantin.

i believe 'vistaglance' certainly has potential even without the artificial intelligence that you are striving for. if you could make it more keyboard friendly then i'd carry on using it. there really needs to be a way of navigating throughout the entire program without using the mouse.

my only other recommendation that i can think of straight away would be the option of turning off the 'skin' that the program uses. 'classic' windows appearance compatibility is always going to win you a lot of favour as it will allow your program to 'merge' with more users desktop environments. providing a skinning feature is nice but there are still a great number of us that prefer just the plain old windows look (with a bit of personal colour changing here and there).

i'll certainly look forward to further developments with 'vistaglance' and i'll start using it again as soon as the keyboard issue is cleared up. expect donations aplenty after you've made a few tweaks to the program. and good luck with the artifical intelligence that does sound like a cool feature.

jgpaiva:
Hello! My name is Konstantin Artemev. I am the author of VistaGlance. One of VistaGlance users told me about this topic and I decided to join.
-Konstantin (April 09, 2006, 02:57 PM)
--- End quote ---
Fantastic! Always good earing from developers that decide to comment about their programs here on DC!

I hope we'll hear from you again, VistaGlance looks pretty neat, and the future features you mentioned surelly look atractive! :)

Konstantin:
New version with keyboard bugfixes is now available. Please download it here:
http://www.vistaglance.com/download.php?dfile=0

Feel free to post comments on this new version here or in VistaGlance forums. Your oponion is very important for me!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version