ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

VistaGlance

(1/4) > >>

Zero3K:
Description from its website:

VistaGlance is a revolutionary program with elements of artificial intelligence that gives you a wonderful ability to get documents you want or run programs you need within several seconds since you firstly think about them. VistaGlance utilizes results of original research in computer human interaction and human perception to increase efficiency of documents-related work up to 30 percents.
--- End quote ---

Screenshot:

Homepage: http://www.vistaglance.com
Download: http://www.vistaglance.com/VistaGlance.exe
Forums: http://www.vistaglance.com/forums/index.php
License: Freeware (there is also a Pro version that's shareware and includes more features)

jgpaiva:
This looks like an interesting program.. Has anyone tried it?

nudone:
i've just installed it. it's now scanning my hard drives to create it's database.

so, it appears to be something similar to google/msn/yahoo/etc/etc desktop search - but without the massive database it seems...

it scanned 3 hard drives in less than 2 minutes (that's about 400 gig of files).

i'm now about to put it to the test, here goes.

nudone:
well, that's about 15 minutes i've been playing with 'vistaglance'.

mixed feelings so far. i'm not entirely sure if i'm just not using it properly or it doesn't fully work.

the floating toolbar appears to work fine and is a great little tool: just type in the name of the file/folder you want and a list of matches appear - with a handy popout window with buttons for cut/copy/paste amongst other things.

there are also toolbars that integrate with windows explorer and your windows taskbar but i can't get these to do anything like what the floating toolbar does.

i'm still wondering if this is a major improvement over the more common desktop search programs. the potential is certainly there and you can see that a lot of thought has gone into the program - you can even add 'tags' to your files to provide even more ways to search for things (this tagging method appears to break if you move the files from where you first tagged them).

what 'vistaglance' demonstrates more than anything is what 'find and run robot' could be doing in the near future (i know people have requested it). with the addition of a database to store file data and a few tricks, such as tagging, i think we'd all see desktop productivity go into hyperdrive.

(the database appears to be about 25 meg which is a dramatic difference to what you'd expect from the well known desktop searchers.)

i'm going to give 'vistaglance' a try as i've never really got on well with things like google desktop search (etc). and, i'll be keeping my fingers crossed that maybe one day 'find and run robot' will incorporate something similar.

nudone:
i don't think i'll be using 'vistaglance' for much longer. unless i'm just not trying hard enough, i can't figure out the shortcut keys to move around the floating bar.

seems a bit retarded to type in a search term and then have to resort to the mouse to open up the file/folder within the results. if that is how it has to work then i may as well just click through windows explorer (or whatever file manager) with the mouse without resorting to using the keyboard.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version