ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Google Drive launched

<< < (4/8) > >>

nosh:
A good breakdown of the privacy issue:

Google Drive: The truth about data ownership | Cloud Pro
http://www.cloudpro.co.uk/cloud-essentials/3465/google-drive-truth-about-data-ownership
... there are still some causes for legitimate concern about the wording of what followed, and was less widely reported by the Twitterati: "This licence continues even if you stop using our Services". That's the license in which you are granting Google the rights to use your data for the "limited purpose of operating, promoting and improving" its services as well as to "develop new ones”.

And there lies the rub methinks, this is less about data ownership and more about data usage, privacy and security. Google does not, as it clearly states, own your data; ownership remains with the user, but it sure as heck does seem to expect an awful big slice of privilege when it comes to what it can do with that data forever more.
--- End quote ---

If I were to put any sensitive files on their servers, I'd simply encrypt them first.

rgdot:
That is kind of like saying I pay for hosting (for example one that allows personal files besides site hosting) and then leave them. Do I really know what happens with their daily backups?

It all comes down to level of trust or if you like paranoia. Something written in a TOS is only words even if you trust the provider.

Dirhael:
Btw, am I the only one who feels drive is .. underwhelming?

I mean .. 5 GB free storage, with the same features as everybody else. It would have been awesome 5 years ago, but today it is just another one :-\.
-Jibz (April 26, 2012, 01:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

5 GB is pretty average. On the other hand, their upgrade plans such as 25 GB for $2.50/month, 100 GB at $4.99 or 1 TB for $49.99 is a steal. My main concern, privacy aside, is what happens a year or two from now. Does Google yet again just find out that they can't be bothered with the service any longer?

nosh:
I don't see that happening with Google Drive. It's not one of their bizarro services that barely takes off and can be quietly taken to the back and shot in the head.

Deozaan:
1 TB for $49.99 is a steal.-Dirhael (April 26, 2012, 10:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

$50/mo is a steal for 1 TB? At that price I could buy about six 2 TB hard drives per year. At the end of a year I'd have 12 TB of storage space for the same price.

You're right it's a steal. But who is stealing from whom? :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version