ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Google Drive launched

<< < (3/8) > >>

Jibz:
There is no way a company can get your files, make them available to you, store them in multiple datacenters for security, convert formats, scale images, OCR text, allow you to share files with others, and so on, without making sure you give them the right to "use" the files under certain restrictions.

Jibz:
Btw, am I the only one who feels drive is .. underwhelming?

I mean .. 5 GB free storage, with the same features as everybody else. It would have been awesome 5 years ago, but today it is just another one :-\.

rgdot:
+1 to both Jibz posts.

I don't want to be too paranoid. A TOS being 'better' is no guarantee that security and chance of abuse is actually better too, if that makes sense.

In regards to 5 GB in 2012, it is not all that different than social something (Google+) in 2011. Google is just entering something late, up to users to make choices I guess.

lanux128:
hmm.. by the time it's activated for me, it'll be a case of too little too late..

Deozaan:
The desktop app is bare bones, it didn't ask me for an install location (as usual)-nosh (April 26, 2012, 12:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

It didn't ask me where to install it, but it did ask me where to put the folder it would synchronize.

There's a story out there that the TOS allows Google to basically fold, spindle, and mutilate your data, far beyond what dropbox and MS say "only use the data for providing the service."-TaoPhoenix (April 26, 2012, 12:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

Jibz is exactly right, and there was actually some commotion about Dropbox back in the day for having a similar TOS. A lot of people are making a big deal out of the sentence or two that talk about Google requiring you to give them a license to your stuff, but comparatively few people seem to be mentioning the part where it says you retain ownership of all your stuff.

hmm.. by the time it's activated for me, it'll be a case of too little too late..
-lanux128 (April 26, 2012, 09:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

It seems that with the release of Google Drive they've also increased Gmail storage space to 10 GB.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version