ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Google Drive launched

(1/8) > >>

Josh:

After over two months of rumors, Google has finally lifted the lid off of Google Drive. It's the company's entry into the cloud-based file storage service business that already has several competitors, including Microsoft's SkyDrive, Dropbox, Box and others.

In a post on Google's official blog, the company details what users can expect of Google Drive. First, the important stuff. You can use up to 5 GB of storage space on the service for free. However, much like Microsoft's just revamped SkyDrive, you can also purchase more storage space. Paying just $2.49 a month brings the storage limit to 25 GB.

You can also go up to 100 GB for $4.99 a month. If you want to go all out, you can even sign up for 1 TB of storage space. However, that will set you back $49.99 a month. Any time you buy extra space on Google Drive, your Gmail space will also increase to 25 GB.

Google Docs has been integrated into Google Drive, where users can collaborate on documents inside the cloud drive. Google states, "Once you choose to share content with others, you can add and reply to comments on anything (PDF, image, video file, etc.) and receive notifications when other people comment on shared items."

Google has also released a Google Drive app for Android-based smartphones and tablets and the company says it is working on an iOS app as well (sorry, no word on a Windows Phone app).  Google Drive also has extensive search features and can even search for words inside a scanned image of a document, such as an old newspaper clipping. It adds:
--- End quote ---

More at Source

Google drive

Please note, if you are on the old google storage plans, you can retain those. I paid $5/yr for 20GB of storage. Needless to say, I get to keep it as long as my card remains active :)

Deozaan:
I don't know why they're making big announcements about Google Drive having launched but the website still says something along the lines of "Click here and we'll notify you when it's ready." :down:

Josh:
Not all users are active at the moment. I am working, and my wife JUST got enabled.

lanux128:
not active here as well. looks like Josh is among Google's favourite user.. :)

Josh:
Given that my "liberated data" was 1.2TB, maybe that explains a lot ;-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version