ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Finished Programs

DONE: 1-action Unzip

(1/10) > >>

TaoPhoenix:

I'm on XP and lately I'm downloading a lot of zipped stuff. The slightly clunky design of the WinXP extractor is finally irritating me! It's between 5 and 6 clicks to unzip a file via the wizard.

What about a "Turbo-Unzipper"?

Something like click to select the file, then either a hotkey unzips it, "yes I want it here, no, I don't want to open the resulting folder." Then at the very end it does something like the Files2Folder trick and jams the Zip inside the newly created folder.

Renegade:
I came up with this functionality for ALZip v7 or v6.x a long time ago. You can check to see if they still have it in there. Basically, you could select how to treat files, so you could double-click a ZIP file to unzip it to a folder, or open ALZip or display the context menu. It was the fastest way to unzip files you could possibly imagine. http://www.altools.com/

However, things may have changed since then. Not sure if there's a copy of the v6.x or v7 hanging around out there somewhere that you could use.

TaoPhoenix:
"You" came up with this - but Cnet claims it's $29.95 to buy! It's 5 clicks man, not $29.95 worth!

Or is that something evil that CNet stuck on there?

Renegade:
"You" came up with this - but Cnet claims it's $29.95 to buy! It's 5 clicks man, not $29.95 worth!

Or is that something evil that CNet stuck on there?
-TaoPhoenix (April 24, 2012, 06:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, I came up with the design and functional specs, but Jaehoon did all the coding.

ALZip 6.7 was the last freeware version I think. They changed the licensing model after I left the company. Long story there... So, the current version is a 60-day shareware trial.

I'm trying to find v6.7 for you now... I'll post back.

x16wda:
Install 7-zip and set it in tools/options to associate with zip files.  Then just right click your zip file and you can unzip it right there, unzip to a folder named like the file, etc.

Oh yeah, Haozip does the shell extension thing too (as do probably lots of other compression tools); one of the places I visit suggested trying it, and it seems to be as fast as 7-zip, but with a fancier looking interface.  Of course if you just click-and-extract you don't ever see the interface...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version