ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Finished Programs

DONE: 1-action Unzip

<< < (10/10)

kunkel321:
@RobC:  I'm just curious why you don't like it when an app puts a new folder?  Do you mean at the same level (in the same parent folder) as the ZIP file?

It seems logical to me that it should work this way.  As far as I'm aware, a zip file is just a folder that's been zipped.  If I "unzip" it, then I'd expect it to be a folder again, and be in the same location.  Putting new folder essentially does this--right?

RobC:
@RobC:  I'm just curious why you don't like it when an app puts a new folder?  Do you mean at the same level (in the same parent folder) as the ZIP file?

It seems logical to me that it should work this way.  As far as I'm aware, a zip file is just a folder that's been zipped.  If I "unzip" it, then I'd expect it to be a folder again, and be in the same location.  Putting new folder essentially does this--right?

-kunkel321 (May 28, 2012, 11:00 AM)
--- End quote ---
If someone zips a folder, then fair enough he probably intends the recipient to get a folder.
However if I zip two files, say a .txt and and .exe, then when someone unzips it, I expect those two files to appear in the same folder that the zip was placed in.
My understanding of this program is, if I happened to name the zip file - "UnzipTheseTwoFiles.zip" then the recipient is going to get a sub folder created called "UnzipTheseTwoFiles".
Windows has been doing that for years, and that is why I install 7Zip as my very first priority.
If you have 7Zip try right clicking a zip file, and choose extract here.
That is what I believe god intended. 

mouser:
Adding my 2 cents to the issue.  The crux of the dilemma as I see it is that the risks are asymmetrical.  That is:

If you unpack into a newly created subfolder.. The worst case scenario is simply that the user has to go into the subdirectory to move them out.  If they want to "undo" the unzip operation, they just delete the new subfolder.

But if you unpack 500 files into the top-level directory where the zip is, the worst case scenario might be pretty damn bad -- it might mean you've dumped 500 files in with a whole bunch of other files and the user has no easy way to see which files are newly unpacked vs which were already there.  If they want to "undo" the operation they are screwed.

I think for this reason, the prudent thing for quick unzipping where the user hasnt explicitly right clicked and said to unpack into root of a specific directory, is to always create a new subdirectory.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version