ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > MEWLO Web Framework

OLD - Yumps Videos

<< < (3/4) > >>

jgpaiva:
I think your biggest confusion was when i showed how you could connect the bridge to an existing account that you hadn't yet logged into yet in that session (ie facebook linked to account created with twitter).  I could hide that option but the aim was to prevent people from accidentally creating 2 different yumps account, one for each login.  Perhaps it can be refined.  Perhaps the text on that link should say something like "WAIT! If you already have an account on YUMPS, don't click submit to create a new account, but click here to login with your other account and connect this bridge to that account."
-mouser (April 28, 2012, 01:51 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yep, that's what I mean. Notice that I did understand the whole process, but I'm pretty sure that a naive user would never be able to finish it. I agree, the problem may only be in the text of that option :)

I should note that it is quite easy and less confusing to add a new bridged account AFTER you are logged in (from the Manage Bridges) page.
-mouser (April 28, 2012, 01:51 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yep, I imagined so, that's why it seemed a bit overkill to have that "bridge this account with existing account" option, I'm not sure if that would happen much. Also, related to this, if someone did create another yumps account, is there a way to "merge" it (or bridge it?) with another existing one?

As you can see, the issues you are raising are EXACTLY the kinds of issues that YUMPS is meant to handle well.  While user sccount creation and management is a small side detail for most web services -- it is one of the central focuses for YUMPS -- so I intend to make it better and more robust than anything else out there.
-mouser (April 28, 2012, 01:58 PM)
--- End quote ---
Awesome :D That really does look good!

mouser:
How about openid?
--- End quote ---
OpenId is already one of the supported bridges.

mouser:
Also, related to this, if someone did create another yumps account, is there a way to "merge" it (or bridge it?) with another existing one?
--- End quote ---

There is no "merge" function implemented, or on my near term horizon for now.

HOWEVER, this is exactly the kind of scenario that prompted me to write the full fledged "Bridge Management" area.  From that page you can see that users can temporarily disable/enable their bridged logins, or remove them from an account.

So let's say created two YUMPS accounts, one bridged with facebook, and one with twitter.  And you decided you only wanted one of those accounts and to have both twitter and facebook log you into that one account.  You would log into the other, delete the bridge to your twitter account.  Then you could log into the account you want to keep and add the twitter account to that one.

I'll have to give some more thought about whether it makes sense to have an explicit merge function..

I also need to implement some functionality to let users delete accounts -- I haven't done that yet.  Deleting accounts is one of those things that is a lot trickier than you might imagine -- because if you have content on the site authored by someone whose account is deleted -- how is that handled?  Most of the time it makes sense to "virtually" delete account:  mark them as deleted but leave their record in the database for content that is linked to them.  But then with some accounts that have not created any content that is overkill.  And then there is the issue of whether the user should be able to delete their own account or if/when a moderator has to approve the process.

jgpaiva:
I also need to implement some functionality to let users delete accounts -- I haven't done that yet.  Deleting accounts is one of those things that is a lot trickier than you might imagine -- because if you have content on the site authored by someone whose account is deleted -- how is that handled?  Most of the time it makes sense to "virtually" delete account:  mark them as deleted but leave their record in the database for content that is linked to them.  But then with some accounts that have not created any content that is overkill.  And then there is the issue of whether the user should be able to delete their own account or if/when a moderator has to approve the process.
-mouser (April 28, 2012, 05:49 PM)
--- End quote ---
I guess this depends on the "EULA" of the site. If the site owns the contents that the user posts (which for me is the option that makes sense), the user is only entitled to disable his account, preventing any contact from the site, removing her personal details and making her profile inaccessible. If, on the other hand, the user retains ownership of the content they post, then they should be able to remove it. However, for me this does not make much sense: once you've said something, you can't take it back, posting online should be similar.

Here's another related question: can users change their ID? I know it's very infrequent, but I've seen it happen here at DC a couple of times, hence the question.

mouser:
Here's another related question: can users change their ID?
--- End quote ---

This is again one of these things that is technically trivial -- the only issue is whether it is confusing for members of the site to see a user name/id change.  So this is something a site builder would have to decide if they want to allow or not.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version