ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

W7 taskbar>toolbar>'desktop' extremely slow

<< < (7/7)

Daikeez:
Awesome, will give it a try. Though my OCD will probably keep gnawing away inside me, taunting me that I 'gave in' and didn't find the problem. Oh well, maybe one day it'll just work.

That would probably just drive me crazy // this line is for the computer gods, in an attempt to use reverse psychology
// because we all know computer gods can't read comments :)

tomos:
I dont use it myself but think Launchbar Commander from mouser here (donationcoder) does the same thing as the other suggestions.

Re Windows 7 64 bit, I guess if I tell you that adding a folder as toolbar on the taskbar works perfectly here, I'll only be rubbing salt in the wounds...

Curt:
lemon-juice...

;D
---------
It is my theory that Explorer is testing each icon's program's address, before displaying the desktop (in the toolbar in question). When I moved all third-party icons and only kept the system-made such, my toolbar became lightening fast (of course, it had almost nothing to do). But the difference in speed reminded me so much of the difference between launching Add/Remove with only 5 programs installed, and launching Add/Remove when 500 programs are installed => same-same.

I no longer use the taskbar toolbar, but I managed to find it for this occasion:

Danish titles, etc., (Skrivebord is desktop):

Loading time: too short to calculate.  :)
   now I will put it away again.

ent:
Another possibility:

It is my experience that it only gets slow when the harddrive(s) goes to sleep.

My powersaving options let my harddrives go to sleep if they aren't accessed for a few hours.

The delay for the toolbar pop up appears to be the 15-20 seconds it takes for the harddrive to wind-up again.  If you catch it around the 20 second period, you can actually see it re-reading each individual thumbnail from the drive, as if it is scanning individual executables for their icons.  I don't see any caching occurring except what it pulls into active memory.

I haven't tested it yet, but it may actually need to wake up each individual drive that any menu shortcuts are pointing to.  Once I can read one toolbar menu, the others only have a 1-2 second delay.  After that, they all respond in less than a second.

Seems like this would be a major oversight for any OS GUI, but then again Windows has proven they don't design things for continued usage.  They still don't have a simple icon for "Upgrade your harddrive".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version