ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

W7 taskbar>toolbar>'desktop' extremely slow

<< < (5/7) > >>

Curt:
http://support.microsoft.com/mats/system_maintenance_for_windows/en-us-ha14 (April 21, 2012, 12:11 PM)
--- End quote ---
Microsoft Fix It didn't find any problems.-Curt (April 20, 2012, 08:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

Curt:
I don't know if Ccleaner really was helping, or if it was a coincidence, but today it doesn't help; the lag is now 20-30 seconds. Something is wrong, and I have no idea why. Tomorrow I will re-install True Launch Bar instead.

Carol Haynes:
Out of curiosity have you tried disabling all startup items and non-MS services in MSCONFIG ? If it makes a difference re-enable a few at a time.

MilesAhead:
A quick thing to try would be disabling AV shields, if running. Those things interfere with the system more than anything.

Curt:
I have now (re-)installed True Launch Bar (TLB), and am loving it. To create a lot of shortcuts in the easiest and fastest way I could think of, I have moved all the program shortcuts from the desktop to TLB, leaving only system folder shortcuts. The menu pop-up (from taskbar>toolbar>'desktop') is now instantly.

This makes me think that the delay I have complained about, only was caused by Windows waiting for the 65 icons to display, so to speak. Meaning, Windows would first take (a lot of) time to load the icons, and only then display them in the menu.

But isn't there a setting talking about how much memory Windows must use to store icons in the memory? Maybe this setting, if it exist, was too low for my setup?? If it exist, WHERE IS IT???
 :tellme:

edited: re-reading the thread, I only now realize that I have forgotten to inform that the icons on desktop all were "hidden". Sorry! Such information should of course have been given from the beginning.
 :-[

Does Windows maybe not load hidden icons into memory?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version