ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

W7 taskbar>toolbar>'desktop' extremely slow

<< < (4/7) > >>

Curt:
-thanks, nosh and MilesAhead. Actually all this was a test. Not of you, of course, but a test to see if I could live without True Launch Bar. These problems, and the fact that the Windows 7 taskbar-toolbar pop-up menu is too long, has already made me think that True Launch Bar probably will be re-installed on this W7 very soon.

I installed it when I first sat up the computer, but it was so different from how it was on my Vista, and placed in the wrong side of the taskbar (I didn't know from the beginning that these taskbar-toolbars can be dragged from the right side to the left side of the taskbar), so I removed it again, and tested Windows' default solution.

A long answer to no question, but there you have it: I was merely testing ;-)

Test all, keep only the best.

MilesAhead:
I haven't tried True Launch Bar, but I like Standalone Stacks 2.  I can easily make a stack from a folder full of categorized shortcuts. It uses the same library that RocketDock stacks uses. It's been pretty smooth on both 64 bit Vista and 32 bit W7.

Curt:
I haven't tried True Launch Bar, but I like Standalone Stacks 2.-MilesAhead (April 20, 2012, 04:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

To navigate thru folder in stack, hold CTRL when you click on it (for now, you can’t go back).-Standalone Stacks 2
--- End quote ---

-this sounds to me like two disadvantages. Why isn't it?  :tellme:

MilesAhead:

To navigate thru folder in stack, hold CTRL when you click on it (for now, you can’t go back).-Standalone Stacks 2
--- End quote ---

-this sounds to me like two disadvantages. Why isn't it?  :tellme:

-Curt (April 20, 2012, 04:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't use the option to have Explorer open the stack folder. Turn that option off. Just left click a stack to open it. I have double height Taskbar so that I can fit more Tray Icons on the right, but I only use about 3/4 of the top row of the taskbar for icons because I have 8 Stacks pinned. Stuff I use incessantly like chromium and EditPadLite I have pinned. But about half the Taskbar icons are stacks. Here's a screen shot

It's an old screen shot. But basically what I did was make a folder of shortcuts that I use the most from each category of programs.  The Tools Icon on Taskbar is system utilities, the Disc media stuff like DVD Shrink, Imgburn, the Edit is text editors/word processors, and I have an edit icon with colors in it for graphical editors, the Key is hotkey apps, the globe Net apps etc..

Here's the current desktop with the Globe Stack open:

ha14:
Fix broken desktop shortcuts and common system maintenance tasks
http://support.microsoft.com/mats/system_maintenance_for_windows/en-us

before running the above tool, disable show desktop, run the scan perhaps to reboot and re-enable show desktop.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version