ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

W7 taskbar>toolbar>'desktop' extremely slow

<< < (2/7) > >>

MilesAhead:
Just to be clear, when you say "toolbar for the desktop" do you mean you have about 100 icons on the desktop? Or some special toolbar? I don't use funky desktop buttons so sorry if it's obvious to everyone else. :)

edit: btw if you run a real time av shield try disabling it to see if the icons load in spiffy fashion. :)

Carol Haynes:
Have you tried chkdsk c: /r

I have found slow behaviour like this can be because of file system issues.

Curt:
Have you tried chkdsk c: /r-Carol Haynes (April 19, 2012, 05:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

-this command took several hours to perform, but no issues were found.

------

I have now realized that when I click the ">>"-arrows on Taskbar > Desktop, the clock will freeze for (24 seconds) as long as it takes for the shortcut menu to pop up. So I guess Explorer itself is "not answering", or crashing&restarting?

----

I posted the question in Windows Seven Forum 24 hours ago. So far no answer.

------

Microsoft Fix It didn't find any problems.

-------

icon cache rebuild didn't change anything that I have noticed.

-------

Another problem was found!  :-[
My version of the command box will do it's job but then auto-close so quickly that I don't get to read anything. So something is wrong.

Carol Haynes:
Could be a faulty shell extension in Explorer - try ShellExView and disable all extensions to see if the proble goes away - if it does re-enable them again a few at a time until you find the culprit and then uninstall/reinstall the related software or do a repair install.

(Note there are 32 bit and 64 bit versions which don't require installation).

Curt:
I have placed CCleaner in Start, but it will merely cure the symptom not the disease.

A voice in the back of my head (or in my stomach?) is saying that the problem can have to do with MRU or MUI Cache? Weird voice; I wouldn't know what to do if it was right.

----

Yes, Carol, one would think it easily could be a shell extension; I use quite a number of the kind. But CCleaner makes the problem become invisible, and then it was probably not caused by a shell extension. Or what? Anyway; if the problem stays away, I will forget about it.

---------

Thank you for your efforts, SKA, Miles, and Carol!  :up:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version