topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 10:36 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Publishers shoot toes off again  (Read 2739 times)

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Publishers shoot toes off again
« on: April 04, 2012, 08:46 AM »
An interesting article  in Wired provides yet another example of how content providers would rather protect their intellectual property from theft than make it worthwhile for people to pay for it.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Publishers shoot toes off again
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 09:46 AM »
An interesting article  in Wired provides yet another example of how content providers would rather protect their intellectual property from theft than make it worthwhile for people to pay for it.

in particular, how font foundries were afraid of their fonts being ripped off, so they didn't give licenses for html5 or PDF - so many magazines used PNGs until now...
Tom

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 11:46 AM »

Bleh - Fonts!

I'm as much of a detail freak as anyone, but fonts annoy me. Different programs shuffle between defaults. Times New Roman, Geneva, Arial, Calibri, Verdana (which doesn't behave nicely on my work printer! Prob. a driver issue - I hate drivers too!)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 06:49 PM »
@xtabber: Thanks for posting this and pointing to the very interesting Wired article - which I had not read before.
I guess the situation is that the newly-emerging technology in the iPad is running foul of and having to workaround the legacy of what we can now perceive as archaic, mountainous copyright-locked business models.
Since the mountain is Big Corporations, I would guess that we are stuck with "Mohammed will have to keep going to the mountain".
That's just more innovative technological adaptation, I suppose.