ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Xvid Video converter for Windows 7 x64 - any ideas?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Carol Haynes:
I am using my computer to stream video to my TV and also my BD Cinema device.

I don't want another device to connect to my TV (I already have a DVD/HD recorder, Sony BD Home Cinema, a satellite box and an ethernet switch connected to the TV). Any more boxes would drive me insane!

skwire:

I don't want another device to connect to my TV (I already have a DVD/HD recorder, Sony BD Home Cinema, a satellite box and an ethernet switch connected to the TV). Any more boxes would drive me insane!
-Carol Haynes (April 09, 2012, 01:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

Gotcha.  =]  FWIW, I can vouch for the Boxee Boxes.  We have four of them in this house and they play damn near any file I throw at them.

Deozaan:

-Carol Haynes (April 09, 2012, 01:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

What about using something like Subsonic or PlayOn to stream from your PC to the TV?

But yeah, if you're going to convert them, I'd recommend some form of FFMPEG. So WinFF works. (c:

Carol Haynes:
Hmm - looked at Boxee - bit too pricey for my needs. Add to that the number of complaints about crap support in the UK and it is definitely a no thanks.

See http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B0043EV3MS/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_1?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBy=addOneStar

Basically in the UK the web services supplied only work with the BBC and YouTube - the lack of app or up to date Flash support killing any access to other UK TV services.

OK it might well play any file format but there are limited number I am having issues with so it seems a bit of a big price to pay for playing poor quality DivX files!

4wd:
... only Xvid and MKV so I need to convert a lot of DivX (and other AVI) files to XviD (preferred) format.-Carol Haynes (April 09, 2012, 06:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

When you say MKV, do you mean h.264 in an MKV container format?

Also, why do you prefer XviD over the assumed h.264?

Given the choice, I'd use h.264/MKV and convert them using VidCoder.
Choose the Normal Preset, change the container to MKV under Settings, choose an output folder, drop the files/folder to convert on the window, click Encode.

92 min DVD to h.264/MKV in less than 10 minutes, (98% across all cores - really affects Crysis 2 :) )

As for a media player, WD TV Live HD supports both BBC iPlayer/YouTube/etc and is normally reasonably cheap, (around AU$115), plus it plays a lot of container/codec formats.  The only thing people have found is that it has trouble with is MKV containers using compressed headers but it takes less than a minute to remux the file to use uncompressed headers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version