ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Xvid Video converter for Windows 7 x64 - any ideas?

<< < (4/4)

4wd:
Could try this one, seems relatively simple, (FLW): How to Stream Digital Media From Your Windows 7 PC

Personally, I just share the folder of videos on the computer and let the media player take care of everything - which XBMC should be happy with.

In my case, I use a WDTV Live Plus as a network media player.  I just navigate to the shared folder and select what I want to play.

No need to transcode, (which is what DLNA does), therefore no need for a over-powered computer just to distribute media.

This would be a different story if you wanted to stream media to different devices, (eg. smartphone, tablet, NMP, DLNA capable TV, etc) - in that case you would be better off with DLNA media streaming as it will transcode the media to something suitable for the device it's playing on.

In fact I post here, because I just lost the thread on this convo when 4wd hit containers.-Daleus (April 10, 2012, 06:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

Digital container formatw  ;)

Daleus:
The Xbox setup works well enough, but it's the second one I've had. It has stopped playing DVDs and while it still streams on the home network, the day is coming when it will just not turn on one day.

Carol, I'm digging into a very weirdly written manual for the TV to see what it can do. It's a 32 inch Bravia but I'm pretty certain it nothing fancy based on what I paid for it.

I realize I missed the mark in my previous comment. I need a consumer's guide to file formats. People keep giving me things to watch and they all play well on my gear but roughly half of the folks I pass the stuff on to, aren't able to play them on their gear.  I`d like to understand why and how I can correct this.

It`s not a pressing matter though. I should probably just watch the convo and follow any references provided.

4wd, I like the idea of the network media player, but I find myself with an embarrassment of riches at the moment, in that, I have spare computer gear I`d like to use if it would improve on the Xbox setup. In the meantime, thanks for the reference on container formats.  A lot to digest and I`m finding a lot of it inexplicably difficult to grok.

Ehtyar:
Since the conversion will be in bulk, I'd recommend making direct use of ffmpeg (powers most video converters including the aforementioned winff) or mencoder (sister to mplayer - choose/find a build that suits) (alt1) (alt2).

If using ffmpeg, you're probably after a command line similar to this (audiophiles/videophiles please stop reading here):

--- Code: Text ---ffmpeg -i "<input>" -vcodec libxvid -acodec libmp3lame -ac 2 -sameq -f avi "<output>"
See docs here for any other bells and whistles you might find useful. Be warned that using -sameq is likely to make some of your videos rather large - consider modifying bit/frame rates or frame size to compensate (lossy).

Ehtyar.

4wd:
4wd, I like the idea of the network media player, but I find myself with an embarrassment of riches at the moment, in that, I have spare computer gear I`d like to use if it would improve on the Xbox setup. In the meantime, thanks for the reference on container formats.  A lot to digest and I`m finding a lot of it inexplicably difficult to grok.-Daleus (April 10, 2012, 07:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

Having just acquired a HP Microserver I decided to see what WHS 2011 could do in the way of DLNA serving - not much.  Seemed to only cater for a limited set of media, eg. MKVs weren't showing up on the WDTV Live.

However, I've installed SERViiO along with the SERViiO Add-in and the WDTV Live now sees everything, as well as a couple of Android phones being able to access it all.

Now to put the thread back on track: Any luck Carol?

Carol Haynes:
VidCoder seems to do what I need, and is quite quick.

I have also been playing with Sony's "PS3 Media Server" which is available for windows and supposed to transocde stuff on the fly (including ISO files). Unfortunately it only seems to transcode to MPEG format which my TV/BD don't like as a streaming format! Other than that files that play work fine via that and it seems less prone to losing connection than Windows 7 DNLA service.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version