ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

yet another file manager thread...

<< < (2/10) > >>

ewemoa:
Having difficulty with Windows Explorer in Windows 7, been looking for a good alternative.

Tried DoubleCommander and FreeCommanderXE for a bit and though they looked promising, neither feels quite ready yet.  Currently using CubicExplorer and finding it in its current state to be a bit more usable -- sadly no dual pane yet though:

http://www.cubicreality.com/forum/index.php/topic,1575.msg8697.html#msg8697

sicknero:
I've found that with the combination of QTTabBar, ClassicShell and FolderMenu v3, the W7 Explorer does pretty much everything I want. And none of it seems to slow down my PCs noticeably.

QTTabBar - Has the context preview capability and 'Sub-folders tip' like in TotalCommander and Directory Opus, and also tabbed browsing in Explorer which I use all the time now, and a very useful 'Filter' box.

ClassicShell - It's just great to have the Explorer toolbar icons back again. Gives you a very configurable Start Menu as well.

FolderMenu 3 - Just brilliant. An extra 'context menu' triggered by mouse-wheel click (by default.. you can change it) which you can fill with your own directory short-cuts, programs, functions like 'Toggle Hidden Files' etc. It works anywhere in Windows, including the open/save dialog (Except for in Firefox, where mouse-wheel click triggers the auto-scroll... but you can still access it via the System Tray). Can't praise this one enough : )

I also have FreeCommander and Q-Dir portable versions, although I never seem to use them any more.

Jibz:
I used Directory Opus back on the Amiga, and Norton Commander on the PC until it was surpassed by Dos Navigatorw, which I used all the way up to Windows 98.

I use Directory Opus, Total Commander and XYplorer today, though mostly TC.

DO was an awesome replacement for the windows style folder browsing on Windows XP I think, it is an impressive program that can do so many things. It's just awfully expensive, and since I upgraded to Windows 7 I haven't really missed it enough to warrant the upgrade price.

TC looks horrible. What won me over about it was the way it allowed my fingers to work the same way they did back in the NC/DN days. If you are using the mouse then it is probably not as good as the others, but if NC keyboard shortcuts are hardwired into your brain, you feel right at home :D.

XY is great. There are so many things to like, and the developer is very active and keeps on adding nifty little features. Unfortunately he keeps on adding nifty little features and not the big nasty stuff that actually makes it unusable to me :-[. The sad part is some of the problems are due to the language it was written in, and thus unlikely to be fixed.

I've tried xplorer2, cubic, free commander, altap salamaner, but none of them really struck that magic mix of features and efficiency for me. I liked xplorer2 a lot, and would probably have bought a license if it wasn't for the absurd licensing hoops to put it on an USB drive back then.

Curt:
(...) the combination of QTTabBar, ClassicShell and FolderMenu v3, the W7 Explorer does pretty much everything I want. (...)-sicknero (April 09, 2012, 04:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1

-except that I am using QTTabbar 1.5 Beta 2, StExBar, Hyperionics FileBox eXtender (FbX), Better File Rename, TeraCopy Pro, and ShellToys. I do not love Windows 7, but these makes me prefer Explorer over Directory Opus 10 and XYplorer, that I have keys for. But of course I must now re-test Xplorer2; I have forgotten why I didn't like it.

hpearce:
DOPUS is expensive but is highly customizable and will do/can do almost anything one needs to with a file manager making it worth the price.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version