ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

yet another file manager thread...

<< < (8/10) > >>

f0dder:
Any things those users have in common?

Stuff like OS Version, MSE version (there's (obviously, perhaps :)) been some engine changes, but I'm not sure MSE updated automatically from version-whatever to version-bignewchanges, even though it does auto-updates of signatures), and perhaps custom explorer shell extensions?

The only time I've seen MSE incur a noticeable speed hit is with some compressed or otherwise protected executables - when that happens, I get delays in the more-than-a-second range, even on my (pretty darn fast) i7-3770 - don't have a noticeable speed hit on normal executables, even those in the multi-megabyte range.

DonL:
Any things those users have in common?

Stuff like OS Version, MSE version (there's (obviously, perhaps :)) been some engine changes, but I'm not sure MSE updated automatically from version-whatever to version-bignewchanges, even though it does auto-updates of signatures), and perhaps custom explorer shell extensions?

The only time I've seen MSE incur a noticeable speed hit is with some compressed or otherwise protected executables - when that happens, I get delays in the more-than-a-second range, even on my (pretty darn fast) i7-3770 - don't have a noticeable speed hit on normal executables, even those in the multi-megabyte range.
-f0dder (September 13, 2012, 11:23 AM)
--- End quote ---
Any things those users have in common? The right question but hard to answer. I think I had around 5 such cases in the last years, not too many to run a dragnet investigation... :)

rgdot:
While Don is around I will ask one of those questions all developers hate  :-[

zip, rar support any closer? thanks

Jibz:
The only time I've seen MSE incur a noticeable speed hit is with some compressed or otherwise protected executables - when that happens, I get delays in the more-than-a-second range, even on my (pretty darn fast) i7-3770 - don't have a noticeable speed hit on normal executables, even those in the multi-megabyte range.-f0dder (September 13, 2012, 11:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

My personal guess is that it is because XYplorer is single-threaded, so if anything at all interrupts reading icons or other information from the files as they are displayed, the entire interface locks up. The problem is XY is written in VB6 which does not really support multi-threading. Other file managers like TC and DO do not have this issue.

On some sytems this is not a big problem, on the three machines I have here, I can go get a cup of coffee if I browse to the wrong folder.

Oh and the archive support .. don't get me started :-[.

DonL:
While Don is around I will ask one of those questions all developers hate  :-[

zip, rar support any closer? thanks
-rgdot (September 13, 2012, 11:54 AM)
--- End quote ---
Last time I looked it was on the roadmap.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version