ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Next big opportunity - ditching the laptop in favor of mobile computing

(1/4) > >>

zridling:

I keep hearing from friends and acquaintances who are leaving their laptops at home in favor of taking a tablet on the road, or more daring, just their phone. But those coders who can begin to make mobile computing more productive -- i.e., writing, blogging, even some spreadsheet editing -- will rule the next round of software.

Renegade:
As I type on my tab... I think you're right, but I also think it will be a bit in coming as new UI tools/devices/paradigms will need to be more commonplace.

I use a keyboard with my tab as I type now, but I'd NEVER attempt to type this using the onscreen keyboard - it's simply too clunky and slow. Form factor will always play a crucial role, so it will be up to new, innovative software approaches to overcome the limitations of form factor to truly make the new mobile world more productive.

I'm a bit of a bigot when it comes to some mobile technologies though -- I loathe onscreen keyboards that are completely covered by my 2 thumbs, and refuse to use them. So my phone is out. My tab is much better, and I can actually use it for SHORT input.

Voice is currently out of the question as the licensing models for it are prohibitive. i.e. The server/service model makes using it in any kind of software too expensive for anyone except the major corporations that develop or own the software. This is NOT good for consumers - it is a hindrance and it is stopping the advance of mobile technology/software/productivity more than anything.

Were voice to become practical for software authors to use, it would instantly revolutionize computing overnight.

Check out 1 interview Andrew and I did at http://thedocreport.com/ -- it covers some of this.

The next big input will be the "minority report" gestures control, but that is still very far away. Camera sensor technology is more than advanced enough for it. But again, there are proprietary considerations that will exclude it for some time. Also, it really needs a holographic display to interact with, which is again, a fair distance away.

I'm hoping for a tablet/desktop marriage that lets the 2 truly merge as 1 device so I don't have to fart around with syncing and all that BS. It's possible, but it needs some work to get there.

Just imagine plugging your tablet into your desktop, doing video editing, taking the tab off to a client, showing the video, then doing a few minor touchups on the video right in front of them on your tab, delivering the final video right there, then going back, plugging the tab into the desktop and RESUMING the edit to archive it without screwing around with syncing and all that BS.

I really want to see my tab and desktop share all the same resources as a sort of grid computing where the individual nodes can function on their own or together.  That would be sexy stuff. Just add more nodes for more power. Yeah, definitely sexy stuff! ;D

zridling:
Completely agree -- typing on a tablet is damn near useless. ASUS actually sells a tablet PC that runs Windows and has a load of USB ports. That's what I really want, is a best of both worlds solution, or at least something I can plug any USB keyboard into and just start typing. Still, its utility surprised me tenfold. If nothing else, it's great when forced to wait in an office or for somebody. I can read books offline, play games, doodle, whatever.

Ath:
I'm actually waiting for the release of the ASUS Eee Pad Transformer Prime TF700T with 1920x1200 display and a real keyboard, as I got a voucher for an 'e-reader' (details to be selected by myself) from my wife and kids for my birthday :D

Now just wait (the horror) for the price at release... :o

[Edit]The name is officially Transformer Pad Infinity, I just found out.

Deozaan:
[Edit]The name is officially Transformer Pad Infinity, I just found out.
-Ath (April 09, 2012, 02:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

Oooh!  Pretty! That's the one I'm waiting for, too.  8)

I imagine with the dock it will be about $800. :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version