ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

My Digital Documents 2011 on BDJ Today 4-7-12

<< < (2/3) > >>

johnk:
I spent some time recently reviewing the various options for a document organiser, and ended up going with Filecenter.

One of my criteria was that the program should use the Windows file system for storage, rather than move or copy the files to a separate database. That did limit the options.

In many ways, Filecenter is just a pretty interface to the Windows file system. Its UI, based on "Cabinets" and "Drawers", just represent folders and sub-folders. The Standard version ($49), doesn't even have a built-in search engine (it uses Windows Search or one of a selected number of other third-party options, if you have them). PDF is its main focus, but it will store any type of file, and the built-in viewer will preview many of them.

It works well, it encourages me to be methodical, and it offers everything I need (scanning, filing, searching, previewing) in one program. May not suit you, but worth a look.

wraith808:
Thanks for the response.  I had a no-go from the first, as it's priced per computer.  The standard version also seems to be $49 until the end of the month; then its $99 just a heads-up for anyone else that wants a look.  I will say, however, looking at it, it does look nice.  I just have two computers and a laptop that I need to organize between (one of the reasons that I don't look at the internal db ones anymore).  I'd like something where I could put my files on my NAS and point to them there from any of the computers.  The search continues...

40hz:
I use BenubirdPDF for document organization when I'm running Windows. It seems to be very similar to this app. It's also free.
 :)

johnk:
I did take a look at Benubird and I'm sure it's a fine app, but unless I'm mistaken, Benubird creates its own database, rather than using the Windows file system. I want a system where changes I make in Windows folders are immediately reflected in the document management program, which is why I opted for Filecenter.

40hz:
I want a system where changes I make in Windows folders are immediately reflected in the document management program, which is why I opted for Filecenter.
-johnk (January 26, 2013, 12:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

Makes perfect sense to me why you'd prefer it that way and why you selected what you did.

I was more referring to the functionality of the system which is to manage documents when I called it similar to MDD.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version