ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

More YouTube Censorship

<< < (6/9) > >>

Renegade:
I just checked, and it looks like Google has reversed the censorship now. Check the original video -- it now plays.

As for her paper, does anyone have a link? I wasn't able to find it anywhere.

But read or not - she still claims that climate change is akin to racism/slavery, i.e. she's saying that it's a MORAL issue, and not a scientific issue. That is just wonky.

tomos:
But read or not - she still claims that climate change is akin to racism/slavery, i.e. she's saying that it's a MORAL issue, and not a scientific issue. That is just wonky.
-Renegade (April 12, 2012, 06:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not for or against anyone here and I'm certainly not supporting her paper.
I [just] think the response was unhelpful, inappropriate, exaggerated, stupid, etc etc.

Renegade:
I'm not for or against anyone here and I'm certainly not supporting her paper.
I [just] think the response was unhelpful, inappropriate, exaggerated, stupid, etc etc.
-tomos (April 12, 2012, 06:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

Pretty much. I think a lot of people focused on "treat" and went to town on it. But, whatever.

I didn't really mean to point out her out so much as censorship - which has been reversed, so that's a good thing.

And no matter how nutty anything she has to say is or isn't, I'm certainly glad that she CAN say it. :)

tomos:
I didn't really mean to point out her out so much as censorship - which has been reversed, so that's a good thing.

And no matter how nutty anything she has to say is or isn't, I'm certainly glad that she CAN say it. :)
-Renegade (April 12, 2012, 06:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

yes, very true :Thmbsup:

IainB:
More facts and info. required.

Ref. the paper Kari Norgaard wrote: (about 76 pages long, dated 2009)
Norgaard, Kari Marie, Cognitive and Behavioral Challenges in Responding to Climate Change (May 1, 2009). World Bank Policy Research Working Paper Series, Vol. , pp. -, 2009.
Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=1407958

--- End quote ---

Abstract of the paper:
Climate scientists have identified global warming as the most important environmental issue of our time, but it has taken over 20 years for the problem to penetrate the public discourse in even the most superficial manner. While some nations have done better than others, no nation has adequately reduced emissions and no nation has a base of public citizens that are sufficiently socially and politically engaged in response to climate change. This paper summarizes international and national differences in levels of knowledge and concern regarding climate change, and the existing explanations for the worldwide failure of public response to climate change, drawing from psychology, social psychology and sociology. On the whole, the widely presumed links between public access to information on climate change and levels of concern and action are not supported. The paper's key findings emphasize the presence of negative emotions in conjunction with global warming (fear, guilt, and helplessness), and the process of emotion management and cultural norms in the construction of a social reality in which climate change is held at arms length. Barriers in responding to climate change are placed into three broad categories: 1) psychological/conceptual, 2) social and cultural, and 3) structural (political economy). The author provides policy considerations and summarizes the policy implications of both psychological and conceptual barriers, and social and cultural barriers. An annotated bibliography is included.

--- End quote ---

Interesting interview/advert with her in Wired Science (2009), which refers to the above paper: The Psychology of Climate Change Denial

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version